Help with set up of Remote Deep Sandbeds?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Joined
Nov 18, 2012
Messages
40,649
Reaction score
67,837
Location
Fontana, California
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm thinking about setting up a couple of remote deep sandbeds on my large systems. I have the space and extra aragonite sand necessary, and it seems like a cost effective way to help keep nitrates in check. Those of you who use them, how have you got yours set up? Do they need to be cycled before connecting them to the main system? How would you compare their use to the in-tank DSB (I understand that the regular DSB depends a lot on critters which you don't want in your RDSB...but what else should I know)? Thanks!
 
I've seen a little information about this, am interested to see your responses :) BUMP
 
I totally replaced my sand bed after 10 years and I only added new substrate . No cycling or anything and tank did great. I have some areas In tank that are 6 Inches thick. It did not start that way but with increased circulation and fish moving it around that is where it landed. If you have good live rock the biological process will seed the substrate.
 
I totally replaced my sand bed after 10 years and I only added new substrate . No cycling or anything and tank did great. I have some areas In tank that are 6 Inches thick. It did not start that way but with increased circulation and fish moving it around that is where it landed. If you have good live rock the biological process will seed the substrate.

Good info! Do you think this would also be the case with a remote dsb (since it obviously worked with your regular dsb)? I can't think of why it would be different but wondering.
 
If you look at this old thread I started it shows where I plumbed in a 40 breeder next to my 90g display tank. I added about 5-6" of sand and it is now a full blown fuge with sponges and all kinds of life. It has been up for almost 3 years and I have no issues and zero nitrates and I feed really heavy constantly doing R&D. (The main display tank sprung a leak in Dec 2013 and was replaced however.)

https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/lrs-frenzy-foods/136866-lrs-foods-personal-tank-tour.html
 
Thanks Larry! I appreciate the thread that will definitely help! I like to feed heavy which is one of the reasons I'm looking into this.
 
Your remote DSB needs to cycle, its going to take a bit to get the correct bacteria growing. It needs to be attached, or should be attached to the system while its cycling. Its a real slow process.
 
Last edited:
Your remote DSB needs to cycle, its going to take a bit to get the correct bacteria growing. It needs to be attached, or should be attached to the system while its cycling. Its a real slow process.

Interesting, so how would you cycle it if it's attached to an established system? Wouldn't that put ammonia into that system? Maybe I'm misunderstanding something.
 
It would not put ammonia into the system, its seeding normally along the top of the bed layer, then the deprived O2 bacteria starts growing under that layer, you can actually see the difference in the layers.
In a couple of weeks you should see the bubbles start to show up on the under layer, this is your sign that it has begun.
 
It would not put ammonia into the system, its seeding normally along the top of the bed layer, then the deprived O2 bacteria starts growing under that layer, you can actually see the difference in the layers.
In a couple of weeks you should see the bubbles start to show up on the under layer, this is your sign that it has begun.

Ok. So I should think of it more like seeding than cycling. That makes sense. So just hook it up and let it do its thing.
 
It would not put ammonia into the system, its seeding normally along the top of the bed layer, then the deprived O2 bacteria starts growing under that layer, you can actually see the difference in the layers.
In a couple of weeks you should see the bubbles start to show up on the under layer, this is your sign that it has begun.

I can +1 on this

You won't see any sort of cycle while the bacteria takes hold of where it needs to be. Really you will only see results over time. It will take a few weeks for this to happen (as stated) and in months see a major reduction in nitrate if the remote dsb is big enough. When I look at my dsb all the action takes place from 2"-3". I can't speak about the whole "deeper is better" philosophy. 4" seems to be the standard, and has been very effective for me, and other reef I have personally witnessed.
 
Seeding? No reason to seed it either. If your just thinking DSB, then just let nature take it course on this one.
 
Seeding? No reason to seed it either. If your just thinking DSB, then just let nature take it course on this one.

Sorry. I think you misunderstood what I meant (I probably used the wrong terms). I'm saying it will seed itself from the main system (since the bacteria just needs time to culture into the rsdb from the already living substrate and live rock in the dt) as opposed to cycling (which is generally associated with an ammonia spike).

Basically, from what you said, I just tie it into the main system and let it do its thing. :)
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 33.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new