Help with tank flickering

shadysreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two ai prime HD’s above a 55 gallon standard aquarium I just recently upgraded from a 20 gallon tall... the problem I’m having is when power heads are going (so all the time) there is a pretty bad flicker of light in the water .. this didn’t happen in my 20 and i am a photosensitive epileptic... so you can understand my quarrel is there any way to help that? If I lowere the trajectory of them it’s not as bad .. although the surface is moving it’s not very agitated .. so I’m kind of stuck

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about your condition, gheez this is a tough issue.
Are you saying its the LED “shimmer”?
or the surface agitation ?
if the latter, you point the powerheads downward or in such a way to minimize surface ripples... I point mine towards the bottom but I have a BB with no sand

AdamD76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with doctorgori. Keeping you surface agitation to a minimum and maybe adding a diffuser to you lights would help.

Simsung

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could also get a T5 or a led strip and illuminate the tank from all angles, this should greatly reduce the shimmer.

Last edited:

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 48 41.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 28.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back