Help with Torch Coral

BitFix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this torch coral about a month ago and since them it hasn't looked very good. The tentacles seem very short (although it also looked like that in the store, maybe its a short tentacle variety?). It is growing a new head, so it doesn't seem to be dying and the polyps are out, but I can also see the skeleton. My tank is about 8 months old.

Besides good water quality is there anything else I can do to help it? Maybe lower/higher light or flow? Right now it's in a low light and low-medium flow area.

Parameters:
Alk: 8dkh
Mag: 1350 ppm
Cal: 460 ppm
Nitrates: 0 ppm (Due to hair algae outbreak, I'm dealing with right now)
Phosphates: 0 ppm (Due to hair algae outbreak, I'm dealing with right now)
pH: 8.2
Salinity: 1.025
Ammonia/Nitrites: 0 ppm

Some photos:
1584718433017.png
1584718441106.png

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure that's a torch and not frogspawn? If it's frogspawn, it looks fine.

BobbyCline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like a lot of algae you have there. Lots of algae is often and indicator of high nitrates and/or phosphates. If either of these are high, torches don’t do well in my opinion.

OP
OP
BitFix

BitFix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like a lot of algae you have there. Lots of algae is often and indicator of high nitrates and/or phosphates. If either of these are high, torches don’t do well in my opinion.
I'm dealing with the algae at the moment. Most of it came as the result of me travelling. Some of my chaeto died and released nutrientes back into the tank and my cardinal bangai died, which caused a lot of algae. Believe it or not it's much better than it was when I arrived.

I'm using GFO and trying to get the chaeto back to absorb nutrients.

BobbyCline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm dealing with the algae at the moment. Most of it came as the result of me travelling. Some of my chaeto died and released nutrientes back into the tank and my cardinal bangai died, which caused a lot of algae. Believe it or not it's much better than it was when I arrived.

I'm using GFO and trying to get the chaeto back to absorb nutrients.
Sorry...I didn’t see you posted 0 nitrates and 0 phosphates. Torch health may also decline in the complete absence of these as well. So at some point these numbers were probably very high. Now they are 0. You’ve gone from nutrient excess to nothing at all. Both are probably extremes that don’t favor torch coral health. If this change was sudden, that may also create further shock.

Although, I‘d be pretty surprised if your nitrate and phosphate are both absolute 0. This is pretty hard to achieve. It’s also not really desirable unless you have a tank full of SPS. I think even SPS people say they like to see very minimal amounts of nitrates and phosphates.

OP
OP
BitFix

BitFix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry...I didn’t see you posted 0 nitrates and 0 phosphates. Torch health may also decline in the complete absence of these as well. So at some point these numbers were probably very high. Now they are 0. You’ve gone from nutrient excess to nothing at all. Both are probably extremes that don’t favor torch coral health. If this change was sudden, that may also create further shock.

Although, I‘d be pretty surprised if your nitrate and phosphate are both absolute 0. This is pretty hard to achieve. It’s also not really desirable unless you have a tank full of SPS. I think even SPS people say they like to see very minimal amounts of nitrates and phosphates.
I want my nitrates to sit around 5-10ppm and my phosphates at 0.03. The algae is absorbing the nutrients right now, giving a false reading. I got the torch after the algae outbreak, the only reason being that's the only frag of euphyllia I ever found around me, so I didn't want to lose the chance to get one.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 56 31.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 47 26.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 20.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 21.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back