Help with tricky deadspot

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jcon82
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Jcon82

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 1, 2022
Messages
193
Reaction score
93
Location
North Providence
What state or country do you live in
Rhode Island
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Heres a pic of my 40 breeder
1661275319346.png


This isn't my first tank but its my first reef tank, I spent a lot of time on the scape but never realized I was creating a flow barrier in the middle of the tank! I currently use two Jebao SW-4 pumps and have tried several configurations to get the most even flow. Nothing really works so I'm looking into next steps.

At first I wanted a gyre but I'm not sure that would fix my issue with flow in the middle. So I'm sort of leaning towards adding a 3rd SW-3 right in the middle and having all three blow straight at the front glass and then indirectly back at the rockwork. Does this make sense? What would you do?
 
I have 2 gyres pointing at each other from the sides and I get a lot of flow through the middle. I also only have one return that comes out the center and all 3 hit in the center and create random flow.
 
I have 2 gyres pointing at each other from the sides and I get a lot of flow through the middle. I also only have one return that comes out the center and all 3 hit in the center and create random flow.
yeah, it seemed I would need two forms of gyre flow to collide in the middle to get in there. Thats a bit out of my budget. I was hoping to get away with adding one more $60 pump
 
I do not care how much flow you put in a tank you will always have a slow spot where things pool up, if not you are in a waterfall.

For your tank I would put a pump on the back wall to help with your dead spot.
 
I do not care how much flow you put in a tank you will always have a slow spot where things pool up, if not you are in a waterfall.

For your tank I would put a pump on the back wall to help with your dead spot.
I have two pumps currently on the back wall blowing forward , slightly toed in towards the middle, on random at max power. I thought placing a third and turning them all down to 75% would work out.
 
^^^^^ It is all about just playing around with them and keeping your pumps to a minimum.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 2 7.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new