Help with Tuning AI Primes

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two AI Primes that i'm putting on my Fluval EVO 13.5 gallon nano tank.

The tank is/will be SPS dominated. I will have my AI Primes [one HD and one non-HD] ~9" off of the water surface.

Using BRS's spectrum:
upload_2018-4-18_23-10-22.png

They say that at 8" above the tank, and 6" below the water's surface, one AI Prime HD with these settings gives this par spread
upload_2018-4-18_23-11-22.png

They also say that you should shoot for 250-300 PAR for SPS corals. This would suggest that I should run [similar] settings on my 2 AI Primes to fully support my SPS corals in the tank.

My SPs are almost all 5" under my water line, which more or less lines up exactly with the BRS spread shown above.

Their par numbers with multiples on a larger tank [4 lights] show numbers of
upload_2018-4-18_23-18-31.png

I'm expecting that two lights on the center 12" x 22" [the size of my tank] would provide me with PAR numbers around the 250 range if toned down to <100% [since one of the Prime's isn't a HD]

I hear a lot about people with smaller tanks not using much of the AI Prime's % in their tanks. Am I crazy to think about slowly acclimating my corals to a dual AI Prime intensity of

upload_2018-4-18_23-22-1.png

Any input is greatly appreciated!

If I go with these numbers for my tank, how long do you think I should run the acclimation? [AI has a built in acclimation mode]

Current values for One AI Prime are in Red [current state of acclimation]
upload_2018-4-18_23-26-51.png

Thanks!

Shabalaba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest running a higher white % for 3-4 hours during midday to significantly increase your par levels if you are concerned. However, I am pretty doubtful that you will experience any shortage of light with that setup. I have 2 HDs on a 40 breeder and my SPS grows awesome almost anywhere I put it down to 150 par.

OP
OP
Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest running a higher white % for 3-4 hours during midday to significantly increase your par levels if you are concerned. However, I am pretty doubtful that you will experience any shortage of light with that setup. I have 2 HDs on a 40 breeder and my SPS grows awesome almost anywhere I put it down to 150 par.

You think that I won't have enough par running two of these with the 80% of suggested settings?

I was planning to run my whites higher actually as my wife prefers a less blue look to the tank.

Any insight on acclimation time/starting %?

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lights are you replacing with the AI Primes??

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now i'm running one AI Prime on the tank, but I just purchased a second to add to the tank

I would match your original and ramp them both up to 100% over the course of a couple weeks depending on where your settings are at now.

OP
OP
Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would match your original and ramp them both up to 100% over the course of a couple weeks depending on where your settings are at now.
I was worried that adding a second light at the same intensity would add to much at one time, you don't think that's the case?

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was worried that adding a second light at the same intensity would add to much at one time, you don't think that's the case?

I don't think so, no. You're basically taking the same spectrum you have and spreading it out a little more which will only upgrade the intensity ever so slightly in the middle but more so on the edges. Either way it shouldn't be a problem. If you're still worried you can always match the original and leave it for a week and then start your ramp up from that point on.

Shabalaba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running in to more and more Michiganders on this forum lately!

Have you been enjoying our snowy spring?

Here's my build thread, if additional info is useful

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/michigan-evo-12-13-5-gallons.366050/
Ha! good ole michigan weather for ya!

I enjoyed your build thread, the humor really and writing style really resonated with me too lol

However, to address your previous reply, I DO think you will have enough par, however a more intense light during midday will almost surely benefit all corals. I suggest using the white light specifically because not only does it add more par per watt then any other spectrum type, it will fill in any missing or low spectrum for your corals. I PERSONALLY have my HDs set as such: MAX MAX MAX MAX 25 10 60 from 11-2 with the whites ramping up and down much quicker than the blues (as is in nature).

My tank is a sps dominated mixed reef and everything grows like a weed.

I also dont have too much to say as far a acclimation as all i've ever done in my years of reef keeping is start the coral on the sand bed and slowly work it up to its final destination. I would say though, that a period of 5-7 days seems sufficient for most people

OP
OP
Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of people on my build thread have suggested that in their experience, they've had to tone the AI Prime's way back in order to not fry their SPS/tanks.

I purchased a LUX meter off of Amazon and it should be here this weekend, I might get around to taking measurements on Monday after work.

Shabalaba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of people on my build thread have suggested that in their experience, they've had to tone the AI Prime's way back in order to not fry their SPS/tanks.

I purchased a LUX meter off of Amazon and it should be here this weekend, I might get around to taking measurements on Monday after work.

That will probably be true in your case. My Primes cover an 18x18 area though.

lux meters are ok for reference but readings can be misleading. Lux does not = par and there is no true conversion

OP
OP
Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I measured my LUX today:

Settings when measured -
upload_2018-5-11_16-17-59-png.742733

Tank Setup -

tank-placement-png.742742

The AI Primes are 5" from the water surface [4" from measurements]
The T5's are Geismann super Actinic bulbs [no idea how old they are - bought used] 5 1/2" from the water surface

The Non-HD Prime is centered 6" off the back wall, and the HD Prime is centered 13 1/2" off the back wall

Here are the LUX numbers, retrieved by HDE Digital Luxmeter LX1010B

lux-readings-051018-png.742752

The Prime HD sits at around 6" in to the front of the tank, and seems to be much more powerful than the Non-HD Prime. These are linked as parent/child in the AI software, but I may need to separate them and copy the profile over to the Non HD, but up the intensities to match the HD Prime?

Any help, suggestions or insight is greatly appreciated!

Aldo Garcia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Shabalaba,
I have a 40 gal breeder with 2 Ai HD's can you send me your light schedule and set up. I would like to compare to mine. I have had some corals die on me and im thinking they may not be getting enough light.

TIA

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 55 39.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 16 11.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 39 28.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back