Help with UC Amazeballs Goni Goniopora not fully opening while all other gonis in tank are doing amazing

nycfreshreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys , I just wanted to pick your brains of all those more experienced/wiser in the hobby than myself

A little over a month ago I got lucky and purchased and amazeballs Goni frag directly from UC

I have had it a little over a month and it has not every fully opened although it looks super healthy. I currently have 7 other goni including higher end ones like glitter bomb that are super happy and doing amazing … this is the only Goni I am having issues with.

This is what it has been doing since I got it, it keeps repeating the same cycle over and over again

Day 1: fully closed

Day 2: 1/4 of polyps showing roughly 25% extension

Day 3: 3/4 or polyps showing roughly 25-33% extension

Then it goes back to day 1 fully closed , back to day to and back to day 3 , it just keeps repeating this cycle … this is my first time encountering this and it has stumped me

I just moved to to a slightly lower flow / lower light location (this is the first time I have moved it since introduction)

Since all other gonis in my system are doing amazing… I am stumped

I am wondering if either these are wild Goni frags as opposed to aquacultured or perhaps UC is running higher nitrates/phosphates in their systems that include gonis and this frag has been shocked by entering my low nutrient system …

I have tried feeding us reef roids, goni power, aminos, oyster feast , pods, to no avail

I dose phyto daily and also supplement iodine / magnese / iron

Last ICP test everything looked good except slightly elevated aluminum , probably from marine pure which had since been removed and I ran a metal remover the one by 2
Little fishies

Here are my system parameters

Nitrate 1
Phos 0.02-0.03
Salinity 1.025
Temp 78-79
Ph 8.1/8.2
Alk 8.3-8.4
Calc , mag is pretty spot on

I have heard of these amazeballs frags being extra moody so I’m just wondering if anyone has any tips

What par do you guys usually have these in

I had it in right around 140 bottom of rock work with moderate flow and just moved it now to about 100 in slightly lower flow off to the side to monitor more closely

Any tips are thoughts are greatly appreciated

4B21ED48-E551-46C9-BB89-AF4154503B16.jpeg 8BA1C1BD-27F6-4E45-AF5A-256B6BB5D073.jpeg

OP
OP
nycfreshreef

nycfreshreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update - Unfortunately it has now completely stopped opening and has been fully closed for the past 3 days while 7 other Goniopora in the tank are Super Happy

I am completely stumped…. I have even tried moving it to the lowest light level in the tank which is like 80-90 par

I will try a dip maybe lugols or coral rx next

OP
OP
nycfreshreef

nycfreshreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it’s the closed yellow Goni in center of screen - UC amazeballs , directly from UC (one of my favorite corals in the tank) looks like it may not make it

Attachments

• E5BCBC7C-A8FA-450A-965A-2754B79435FB.jpeg
    E5BCBC7C-A8FA-450A-965A-2754B79435FB.jpeg
    234.9 KB · Views: 71
  • 29120CA6-BB60-4B1E-A467-92A034D74A95.jpeg
    29120CA6-BB60-4B1E-A467-92A034D74A95.jpeg
    159.4 KB · Views: 76
  • 4FC2E6AC-1B72-4B8D-BCAC-FB81D5CE277C.jpeg
    4FC2E6AC-1B72-4B8D-BCAC-FB81D5CE277C.jpeg
    156.5 KB · Views: 73

Bob Weigant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got one on the way so I'll be showing my results once I get it. I have 2 other goni's that are also doing great so we'll see soon enough. Hope you get yours going

OP
OP
nycfreshreef

nycfreshreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got one on the way so I'll be showing my results once I get it. I have 2 other goni's that are also doing great so we'll see soon enough. Hope you get yours going
I appreciate the feedback , can’t wait to see yours ! I have 7 total this is the only one I’m having trouble with (UC Amazeballs) which I got from unique coral … never really opened much unfortunately it is so Darn beautiful , took it out for iodine dip yesterday and found a small spot of tissue recession / exposed skeleton near the corner where it was fragged … gna do all I can to save it and update … may have to frag it in the end to save it

OP
OP
nycfreshreef

nycfreshreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are one of my all time favorite corals … post photos of yours when it comes in !

HgrReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a small frag of the UC Amazeballs back in January. Took it about a month to fully open, all the while every other Goni was open and happy. Hit the middle of March and it closed completely and didn’t open until this past August, and now it is not only open, but it is growing. I racked my brain on this one while it was closed up. It never lost tissue, just stayed closed, and my parameters never changed. I came across a lot of similar experiences from others along the way that this particular Goni does have this reputation. My course of action was setting it off to the side and basically forgot about it, although I would peak at it from time to time. It finally came around…probably not what you wanted to hear, but don’t let it eat at you, just give it time…

billysprout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a small frag of the UC Amazeballs back in January. Took it about a month to fully open, all the while every other Goni was open and happy. Hit the middle of March and it closed completely and didn’t open until this past August, and now it is not only open, but it is growing. I racked my brain on this one while it was closed up. It never lost tissue, just stayed closed, and my parameters never changed. I came across a lot of similar experiences from others along the way that this particular Goni does have this reputation. My course of action was setting it off to the side and basically forgot about it, although I would peak at it from time to time. It finally came around…probably not what you wanted to hear, but don’t let it eat at you, just give it time…
do you dose/test manganese? did you feed it at all?

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had very similar experience to the OP. My amazeballs was beautiful and healthy when it came but now I am struggling. I have many other gonis that are mostly doing well with good growth. I do keep mag around 1500 and dose manganese daily as well as tropic Marin A/K and Red Sea AB+. This strain is just finicky for me. I got mine and several other gonis from TCK; all of the others have done well with good growth.

billysprout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This probably will make you roll your eyes but I haven't tested in months. I do use Red Sea AB plus and Trace Colors.
All good lol, chasing nutrient levels could help but it more likely will be a waste of time. I don't see manganese listed in the red sea trace colors complex, might be worth adding that to your regimen. or they might just be obscuring the actual list of elements in pursuit of 'protecting their proprietary recipes' *eye roll*

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back