Help with upgrading my tank

BaileysTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m upgrading from a 55gal to a 90gal and I’m wondering what the best method is to start up my new 90 gal. I know to use all my old media to immediately introduce bacteria but my main question is how long will it take to cycle the tank if I use all my old media? And how long should I wait to add in my corals/ add new fish and other livestock?

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If you can swap out the tanks using your existing rocks, sand, filter media, etc. Your new tank will immediately support your current livestock and corals.

That being said, depending on how long your other tank has been set up, you could stir up and disrupt bacteria and detritus in your sand. I see a lot of people recommending either new sand, or rinsing your sand really well before putting it in the new tank.

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If you are adding new rock especially dry rock, you might experience another “ugly phase” but shouldn’t be as bad as a new tank as you’ll have some bacteria established.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 19 29.2%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 8 12.3%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 20 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back