Help with vermetid snails

shollis2814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know. I just added one random BB my LFS had. Looks like I need to get more.
I think tomorrow is going to end up a 'low tide day'. I have a "with caution" fish that has started nipping and needs to go back to the LFS. I think I am going to have to remove a lot of rock to get him. Might as well get the tweezers and nail clippers after those pesky vermetids.

Mark3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update!! Vermited Snail numbers are way down. They are no longer everywhere you look. If you look, you can still find some but they are not everywhere like they were. The bumble Bee snails do keep them in check and I have not noticed any negatives from having them in the tank.
So, how many bumble bees do you have in what size of tank? I have THOUSANDS of the Vermited Snails in my tank, and they are becoming a problem with their stringy mucus all over. They grow everywhere, on rocks, on plumbing, inside of the plumbing, even on the back of other snails. If I can't get them under control, I see a tear down and tank sterilization in the future. I need an bumble bee army.

If anyone has any ideas on controlling these things ....please help

Thanks
Mark

P.S. If I put 200 bumble bees in, are they going to become a future problem?

OP
OP
CarolinaReefs

CarolinaReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all it's a 75 Gallon. I originally added 6 BB Snails to it. When I actually saw one of them eat a vermetid, I started looking to buy some more. The BB Snails must be seasonal because at that time I couldn't find them anywhere, at least not for less than 2 or 3 dollars each. I kept looking and finally got some from Reefs2Go. They were BOGO Free so I bought 30 more. They definitely have helped as I was like you with them all over everywhere. People don't understand what it is like to have them explode in your tank. Super Gluing them is just not an option. :)

Mark3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right....I am really glad to hear that something can get to them. I have heard that triggers and puffers also will eat them, along with everything else in your tank.....

I am shopping for some bumble bees to see what will happen.

Thanks
Mark

OP
OP
CarolinaReefs

CarolinaReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another update!!! My main display is almost cleared of the pesky snails. I have also lost a lot of my bumble bee snails. I see more and more hermits wear the shells. I still have a few of them here or there. Been looking for a vendor to order some more but I'm not paying $3 each for them.

Mandrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the BB snails harmful to anything? I have a lot of vermetid worms I'd like to get rid of in my 20g long.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been keeping Bumble Bee Snails in my tanks for the past 3yrs. Yes, the same snails! [emoji2] Simply love these lil guys. So unassuming, unique looking and never leave the rock. Great addition to any tank IMO.

OP
OP
CarolinaReefs

CarolinaReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not noticed any negative effects and mine have been in the for quite a while now. Also I am of the opinion that they are easier to remove from the tank than vermitid snails if they should become a problem.

Marty1115

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What will happen once the B.B. snails finish them off? What will their new food source be as I’m dealing with these little things now and I need to eradicate them

Marty1115

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another update!!! My main display is almost cleared of the pesky snails. I have also lost a lot of my bumble bee snails. I see more and more hermits wear the shells. I still have a few of them here or there. Been looking for a vendor to order some more but I'm not paying $3 each for them.
Sucks that you don’t live near me in Florida as I just called my LFS and they have them for 1.50 I’m going to buy 50 this weekend if he has that many

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 21 17.2%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 52 42.6%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 16 13.1%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 27 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.9%
Back