Help wrasse sick?

Balz3352

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey!

So I have a Lubbock wrasse ive had in qt for a little over a week now. Yesterday it was hiding and not swimming around like it had been before. I found him and ge definitely is showing stress coloration is whitened and has almost lines on him. Before he was never resting on the ground but now he rests and hides all the time. There are pvc for him to hide and a bowl of sand. He was eating like a pig (frozen) and now day 2 no food that I have witnessed.

He swims okay when he swims but he isbt moving much at all.

No signs of sickness I can see or know about.

Leopard wrasse and indigo dottyback beign qtd same time same tank.

20long spong seeded from dt. Small ph and hob filter no cabon.

Perams fine. Leopard and dottyback are both normal and loom healthy.

a2fd0439e3180a161b832ee34cd5f0de.jpg
198e212bb3d76789f55e2eed88942bf1.jpg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Notice any aggression from the dottyback? They can be mean and bully other fish. Any meds currently in the water?

OP
OP
Balz3352

Balz3352

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No meds. No aggression noticed actually the dottyback and wrasse came from same store/tank they were swimming together before this. Seemed to be buddies. All fins are intact on both parties.

Was going to do prazipro but I have read caution for wrasses.

Howieumd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can underdose Prazipro slightly when treating wrasses.

HF, would you mind elaborating on "slightly"? I'm about to dose my 50 gallon QT, which has 8 wrasses in it right now, so I want to go on the light side as well, but need to make sure it's enough to be effective. To get 2.5 mg/L, it would typically be 2.5 tsps of Prazi for 50 gallons. How many should I do for a slightly underdose for it to still be effective? 2 tsps? 2.25 tsps? Thanks!

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HF, would you mind elaborating on "slightly"? I'm about to dose my 50 gallon QT, which has 8 wrasses in it right now, so I want to go on the light side as well, but need to make sure it's enough to be effective. To get 2.5 mg/L, it would typically be 2.5 tsps of Prazi for 50 gallons. How many should I do for a slightly underdose for it to still be effective? 2 tsps? 2.25 tsps? Thanks!
Do 2 tsps and also 3 rounds at this dosage. I've never lost 1 this way.

Howieumd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks! So 2 tsps on 50 gallons is still an effective enough dose? That's 2.0 mg/L, I think? I also use a 20 gallon QT tank. For future reference, would that be .8 tsps on that one to get the same 2.0 mg/L? Just checking my math, LOL.

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! So 2 tsps on 50 gallons is still an effective enough dose? That's 2.0 mg/L, I think? I also use a 20 gallon QT tank. For future reference, would that be .8 tsps on that one to get the same 2.0 mg/L? Just checking my math, LOL.
Prazipro doesn't stick around like copper and for my 20g qt I do slightly less than a tsp full. Prazipro while potent if overdosed (like 2 tsps in a 20g) is still by far 1 of the easier meds we use. Don't worry about being point on, just close. This is why I do 3 when underdosing to make sure nothing makes it through.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

^^ This. 2.5 mg/L is the "Prazipro dosage"; however I've successfully tested flukes against a 2.0 mg/L praziquantel dosage. This equates to roughly 7.5 mg/gal; although just dosing 8 mg/gal would be easier. For those who don't want to mess with measuring bulk praziquantel powder using a digital scale, you can buy API General Cure instead. 1 packet of GC treats 10 gallons of water at the lower 2.0 mg/L dosage, plus you get the added benefit of metronidazole.

Whether to treat with 2 or 3 rounds of prazi is a matter of personal preference, but be sure to space out roughly a week in-between rounds of treatment.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ Just to add... I think buying bulk medication (such as praziquantel powder) is the way to go for those planning to QT A LOT of fish or who utilize large QT systems. It certainly will be more cost effective in the long run.

But for the casual hobbyist who is using, say, a 10 or 20 gal QT here & there... just buying API General Cure is probably the easier thing to do.

Just my 2cents.

Howieumd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ This. 2.5 mg/L is the "Prazipro dosage"; however I've successfully tested flukes against a 2.0 mg/L praziquantel dosage. This equates to roughly 7.5 mg/gal; although just dosing 8 mg/gal would be easier. For those who don't want to mess with measuring bulk praziquantel powder using a digital scale, you can buy API General Cure instead. 1 packet of GC treats 10 gallons of water at the lower 2.0 mg/L dosage, plus you get the added benefit of metronidazole.

Whether to treat with 2 or 3 rounds of prazi is a matter of personal preference, but be sure to space out roughly a week in-between rounds of treatment.

Good info. So would you consider API General Cure a safer, but equally effective, alternative to Prazipro for wrasses as preventative QT for flukes?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good info. So would you consider API General Cure a safer, but equally effective, alternative to Prazipro for wrasses as preventative QT for flukes?

I do, yes. Although dosing 4 ml (4/5 teaspoon) instead of 5 ml (1 teaspoon) of Prazipro (per 20 gallons of water) will achieve the lower 2.0 mg/L dosage as well. My main complaint with Prazipro is it contains Oxybispropanol, and that makes it difficult to mix with other medications (bacterial blooms). General Cure is a powder and the main issue is dissolving it. This suggestion (from @stunreefer) works best to accomplish this: "Place prazi into brine shrimp net, partially submerge, gently knead so fine particles drift out into the aquarium. Continue until all has been expressed into the water."

OP
OP
Balz3352

Balz3352

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question is... Where do I go from here? Do I dose again next week? Transfer tanks again? (not worried about ich though, but do have another qt up and running).

OP
OP
Balz3352

Balz3352

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad he's doing better! As Duke4Life said, 5-7 days do a water change (if the tanks haven't been switched) and dose again. Easy peasy
How much of a water change do you suggest? Usually I do a 5 gallon change on these 20s.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 30 21.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 105 73.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.2%

Back