is everything fine ?
a4311092d7844c03004bc0ad6a366c65.jpg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not enough info must see the tank pics, those are API readings and could be off 100%

only the ammonia reading of that group above matters for the purposes of tank safety. nitrite doesn't even count at all, and nitrate is an algae issue it wont harm your tank, and also didn't jump that much in one day those are all mis tests via API

the reason we disregard nitrite and nitrate in tank safety threads is because its better to only deal with one misreading category (ammonia) adding two more creates a seemingly out of control situation that rarely is. with a full tank picture and a few points of detail discussed, we can assess ammonia highly accurately using no tests. your other two params do not matter regarding tank safety/emergency. going off the title, im thinking you have those measures from a full running nano :)

with the full tank shot, we will easily see animals that would be dead if you had that much free ammonia all day all nite long...and rock cycle status we can see too (coralline, pods, worms, crabs snails etc)

Last edited:

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank ? What did you use to cycle the tank? How large is the tank?

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to test again to check accuracy. If your results aren't very close to the same after two tests within a few minutes, something is wrong with your testing methods.

OP
OP
samdizshiz

samdizshiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its the first tank cycle there is no algae in the tank i just want to make sure that these reading are correct cuz they seemed so...off i just have 2 puffers and dry rock no coral i used sechem stability its been up for about 4 months

OP
OP
samdizshiz

samdizshiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not enough info must see the tank pics, those are API readings and could be off 100%

only the ammonia reading of that group above matters for the purposes of tank safety. nitrite doesn't even count at all, and nitrate is an algae issue it wont harm your tank, and also didn't jump that much in one day those are all mis tests via API

the reason we disregard nitrite and nitrate in tank safety threads is because its better to only deal with one misreading category (ammonia) adding two more creates a seemingly out of control situation that rarely is. with a full tank picture and a few points of detail discussed, we can assess ammonia highly accurately using no tests. your other two params do not matter regarding tank safety/emergency. going off the title, im thinking you have those measures from a full running nano :)

with the full tank shot, we will easily see animals that would be dead if you had that much free ammonia all day all nite long...and rock cycle status we can see too (coralline, pods, worms, crabs snails etc)

can u please explain all of this becuse you just blew my mind what do u mean by nitrate and nitrite dont matter i did a 50% water change and ill test and see what is still going on ill put a pic up when i get back home in 20 min

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the pertinent part to your thread is that if you started with group A rocks, theres a specific test to see when they are ready for fish and that might have been rushed. adding the bio spira is one portion of the build up, the digestion test tells if your tank is fish ready.

you might have indeed jumped and added fish too fast, but that's been 4 mos by then group a rocks will cycle anyway. for sure don't make any changes based on api, get a salifert ammonia kit if you are dealing in group a rocks and never completed the digestion test to know if the start time was correct.

OP
OP
samdizshiz

samdizshiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i didnt add rock till about 5 days ago i started all this based on info from a fish store so i kinda messed up i put fish in first thing so right now i dont even have any bacteria on rock just on my filter media and gravel so i have to puffers brand new rock and i cycling aquarium kinda

OP
OP
samdizshiz

samdizshiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i didnt add rock till about 5 days ago i started all this based on info from a fish store so i kinda messed up i put fish in first thing so right now i dont even have any bacteria on rock just on my filter media and gravel so i have to puffers brand new rock and i cycling aquarium kinda
f66134776098f3d07b7958ad08c4e05a.jpg
77b102dfb9dca470598a11a6364cc62e.jpg

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
from what I gather the entire cycle was skipped but not by planning using cured substrates
where Tahoe was leading

:)

nice call ma'am

so the way to fix this is to remove your fish and give em back, and do the cycle from that thread for group a rocks. since none of the surfaces from the picture have clear aging, and in fact appear to be fully not cycled, the cycle should simply be verified before you add bioload (fish)

those instant cyclers you buy may or may not work depending on how fast we load the tanks with waste producers. there is only one way to get a hold of ammonia in these situations

group a rocks, complete the cycle steps shown and the digestion test shown before adding fish.

group b rocks, use non api ammonia test kit to make sure they aren't leaking ammonia, then add fish.

Your rocks are group A, so the direction is clear. you can proceed with no change and hope they make it, or be certain and do the shown steps. we do not know what your levels are since this is api ammonia, but the mere time frames and known bioload and lack of digestion test indicates a quick start. however much bac has built up in the 4 mos its been underwater will register on that digestion test.

**this stuff is indeed complex when online peeps tell you one think, in bulk, and LFS sells you something totally opposite

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most keep higher salinity .o24 average

Ideal test kit is salifert per that cycling thread

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep agreed in our cycling threads we aren't having trouble w rs

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 36.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 11 13.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 16.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back