HELP

Trevyn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, tried posting in fish section no help yet, buy today I notice my female clownfish swimming randomly hitting rocks and the glass and both of the clowns mouth seem to be losing the black they are both black ocellaris. What do I do? Or more so what is it?
30g xh
32 lbs of LR
Ph-8.0
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate- Should be 40ppm(was 80 just did a 10g water change last night, reason being is I used 15g from a tank with 160 nitrates but thats another story)
Salinity-1.024
Tanks been up for 3 weeks today clowns have been in here for 2 weeks. Also what do corals look like when they die, suck in all the way or?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've got an ammonia problem....highly poisonous. Get Prime right away. The tank never finished cycling.

OP
OP
T

Trevyn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've got an ammonia problem....highly poisonous. Get Prime right away. The tank never finished cycling.
Just did an ammonia test with the api liquid, reading at what it always reads at (0.50ppm) seems like the .50 color should be the 0 imo anyways ill run my tap water for ammonia make sure its the same color again.

OP
OP
T

Trevyn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah so I tested against the tap and it’s at 0.50ppm, what do I do?
Also I just did a 10g wc at like midnight it’s been 10 hours, I have fish and shrimp coming they’ll be here any minute and need to put them in a tank ASAP, any advice?

OP
OP
T

Trevyn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will fluval aqua plus water conditioner be the same as prime? That’s what I have now

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you saying your tap water is at 0.5ppm ammonia? Do you have any LFS close by? Id grab about 20g of fresh salt water & prime from them.
Add prime first, test for ammonia in sometime. Acclimate your new additions but keep water ready for changes along with prime. Its almost like a QT tank. You need to keep monitoring all the time. Did your tank complete the cycle?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank water is reading any ammonia, you need to add prime or any water conditioner that removes ammonia ASAP, or re-home your fish and inverts until the tank is fully cycled. Also add some bacteria, like Dr. Tims to the tank water ASAP.

rob safron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have another small tank you can use to QT the new fish? A bucket could work if nothing else. I would be reluctant to put new stuff in until you get a handle on the issue.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Are you saying your tap water is at 0.5ppm ammonia? Do you have any LFS close by? Id grab about 20g of fresh salt water & prime from them.
Add prime first, test for ammonia in sometime. Acclimate your new additions but keep water ready for changes along with prime. Its almost like a QT tank. You need to keep monitoring all the time. Did your tank complete the cycle?

If your tank water is reading any ammonia, you need to add prime or any water conditioner that removes ammonia ASAP, or re-home your fish and inverts until the tank is fully cycled. Also add some bacteria, like Dr. Tims to the tank water ASAP.
+1 a week of a tank being set up is way to soon for anything

OP
OP
T

Trevyn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No my tank water is at .5 but that’s an api liquid test and everyone says it’s always giving false postives but I take it to lfs and it says 0 and that was just last night I had em test my water, my corals open (Duncan) I ended up just putting the animals that came today right in the tank skipped acclimating, fish didn’t look too good at all so we will see what happens

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No my tank water is at .5 but that’s an api liquid test and everyone says it’s always giving false postives but I take it to lfs and it says 0 and that was just last night I had em test my water, my corals open (Duncan) I ended up just putting the animals that came today right in the tank skipped acclimating, fish didn’t look too good at all so we will see what happens
Ok. So LFS says its zero. Either or watch for ammonia, its not good. I use API test for ammonia. You just added more load to your tank, the new live stock that has come, please monitor and keep a close eye.

OP
OP
T

Trevyn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright will do, thanks for the reply I shut the lights off after I put them in, did a 10g wc last night so that should help, also how long should I leave the light off and wait to feed them? Also when a coral dies does it close up? Can’t get a answer for that one

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh man .....as red fish and flippers said your tank is not yet cycled. Its simply too quick. As they suggested please add some Prime asap or you are simply putting those little fishes under too much stress.

OP
OP
T

Trevyn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man .....as red fish and flippers said your tank is not yet cycled. Its simply too quick. As they suggested please add some Prime asap or you are simply putting those little fishes under too much stress.
I have fluval aqua plus water conditioner is that the same thing?

OP
OP
T

Trevyn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it neutralises ammonia like prime does.
Alright I’m heading to my lfs to have my water checked again, last night about 14 hours ago my Params were perfect except for nitrates at about 80 only because 50 percent of my water came directly from a established tank of 8 years and it’s a FO tank which is why they’re so high and I’ve done a 10g wc the first week a 5g the second week and a 10g last night, I’ll update when I get back from lfs if interested

OP
OP
T

Trevyn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright I’m heading to my lfs to have my water checked again, last night about 14 hours ago my Params were perfect except for nitrates at about 80 only because 50 percent of my water came directly from a established tank of 8 years and it’s a FO tank which is why they’re so high and I’ve done a 10g wc the first week a 5g the second week and a 10g last night, I’ll update when I get back from lfs if interested
Btw nitrates are reading at about 40 now, I also have 32 lbs of LR so a 10g wc is probably 40 ish percent maybe more

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%

Back