Help!

SpencerT82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I made a post almost a week ago about my tang with messed up fins which people suggested it was the purple tang bitting him but now it has gotten worse(2nd picture) what’s happening please help can’t have him die!!
04C5D0A3-E9D0-4942-A999-6BB6984576A7.jpeg
085753EE-55B7-41CC-B7D5-8693F3EAABCE.jpeg

BaghdadBean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be helpful to dial up the whites to get a picture of him, but it really does look like battle damage. Purple tangs are pretty notorious for being jerks, and anytime you’re mixing similar shaped tangs you’re courting aggression. If you don’t have enough algae growing on your rocks or being offered to your fish, they’ll be more likely to show aggression as well. You might want to offer some ogo/gracilaria macro algae in different places in the aquarium to see if that helps calm them down, or at least some quality dried, unseasoned noir at different points in the tank. If you have a good Japanese market near you, they often sell live ogo. Tang aggression is almost always fueled by either resource guarding, or same/similar species aggression. How big is your tank, and how many herbivores/omnivores are in it?

OP
OP
SpencerT82

SpencerT82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be helpful to dial up the whites to get a picture of him, but it really does look like battle damage. Purple tangs are pretty notorious for being jerks, and anytime you’re mixing similar shaped tangs you’re courting aggression. If you don’t have enough algae growing on your rocks or being offered to your fish, they’ll be more likely to show aggression as well. You might want to offer some ogo/gracilaria macro algae in different places in the aquarium to see if that helps calm them down, or at least some quality dried, unseasoned noir at different points in the tank. If you have a good Japanese market near you, they often sell live ogo. Tang aggression is almost always fueled by either resource guarding, or same/similar species aggression. How big is your tank, and how many herbivores/omnivores are in it?
6E1900D2-5592-47E2-9624-3F276A722A07.jpeg

mrtallbear86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely the purple tang! It happened in my tank. Put in another seaweed clip on other side of tank and keeps him at bay. Hope you get it under control, that’s a pretty gem you have there

OP
OP
SpencerT82

SpencerT82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely the purple tang! It happened in my tank. Put in another seaweed clip on other side of tank and keeps him at bay. Hope you get it under control, that’s a pretty gem you have there
Thanks good to know I put the purple in the sump for now to see if anything gets better and if it does I might have to rehome the purple tang sadly but at least it’s better than the gem tang being killed.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My gem has the very same damage and suddenly arguing with my purple tang
It is from aggression. Generally heals back in about 4 days

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I made a post almost a week ago about my tang with messed up fins which people suggested it was the purple tang bitting him but now it has gotten worse(2nd picture) what’s happening please help can’t have him die!!
04C5D0A3-E9D0-4942-A999-6BB6984576A7.jpeg
085753EE-55B7-41CC-B7D5-8693F3EAABCE.jpeg
if the attacking fish is still there, hes still getting attacked, put him in QT so he can heal in peace while you figure out what to do, if it keep getting worse dose with anti fin rot meds

Back