help

rdvab

Texas "Primo"Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK I have a green hammer about 1 ft diameter It has been in my tank about 3 years has about 250 heads.Seems like overnight a portion just died off.Like a streak right across the center about 3 heads wide and 20 long.All the other corals look good????????

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that sucks. Can you take a picture of the coral and its surroundings? I've had a few heads on my frogspawn die overnight but that was caused by it falling over onto another coral.

I can only assume that a colony as long lived as the one you have will have needed a pretty strong force to cause that much harm overnight. Any additions or changes to your tank within the past two weeks? New lights, more live rock, new corals, moving corals around, change in supplements, change in salt, temp fluctuations?

OP
OP
rdvab

rdvab

Texas "Primo"Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really have not changed anything...I will get a pic for you .

OP
OP
rdvab

rdvab

Texas "Primo"Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
030108029.jpg

030108028.jpg

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possible issues from the pics you posted. Keep in mind that that those heads you thought were dead are still viable and that my conclusion is only pic based.

My first bet would be that something got caught up in your korallia Powerhead that the hammers were not use to. This forced the heads to retract from their normal behavior of display and retract.

The only thing that I would be cautious of is if the mushrooms near by shed a slime coat as a defensive mechanism.

Those heads look stressed but not lost. The heads posted look really stressed, but they look like they are more than willing to comeback.

Do you run carbon in your tank and if so when was the last time you changed it out:?

msman825

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good point fickle on the powerhead. does look like something got blew across the hammer. you been dosing anything

OP
OP
rdvab

rdvab

Texas "Primo"Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do run carbon ,on ocassion.I thought about that and put some in this evening.I wish I could get a better pic from above.Some heads are solid white ,maybe a small piec of tissue.That is whats strange to me is the shape of the damage,like something was sprayed across it.
Thanks for the response,I will keep you posted.

msman825

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could it be too much flow on it. and does the clown host it

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back