Heniochus- Utility fish?

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wondering if the Black and White Bannerfish (H. acuminatus) or Bannerfish (Heniochus spp.) in general can serve as a good utility fish in tanks. Recently I have taken to the importance of getting fish that can do something productive for my tank. I will have a Foxface, Yellow Tang, and Yellow Eye Kole Tang as my primary sources of algae control. The angelfish can also help.

I’ve heard from a couple places that Heniochus are algae eaters, Aiptasia killers, and bug eaters. Have you, in your experience, found that to be true?

(I’ve seen quite a few people get the CBB for Aiptasia control and flatworm eating but they’re too difficult of a fish to keep while the Bannerfish is much easier.)

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their destructive nature with coral makes them not considered utility fish in reef tanks. FOWLRS generally have far less concerns about utility fish, Aiptasia generally not being an issue, and flatworms even less so. Heniochus generally do eat aiptasia, not sure they would eat flatworms. I would not consider any butterfly/banner fish a utility fish for algae, as they are primarily carnivorous.

(FYI Copperbands are Bannerfish)

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 153 75.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 7.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 30 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back