Herbie main drain noise

RandomFactoid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I recently bought a 2nd hand Aqua One 120Liter tank with a sump. It's my first sumped tank. It came with a Durso standpipe. Having done some reading, I've decided I want it quiet and drilled a 3rd hole in the weir. Everything seems to function well, however I am not getting air expelled from the drain pipe fully, resulting in bubbling. I think the air's trapped right under the Spears gate valve.

Video here:

Any ideas ?

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I took best pic I could. I placed a pvc cap on mine and drilled a hole and siliconed a rigid tube to the hole and now dead silent

Attachments

• EEA4CD45-542E-4CB4-8012-E64274F2E6EC.jpeg
    EEA4CD45-542E-4CB4-8012-E64274F2E6EC.jpeg
    38.1 KB · Views: 37
OP
OP
R

RandomFactoid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took best pic I could. I placed a pvc cap on mine and drilled a hole and siliconed a rigid tube to the hole and now dead silent
Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure if we're talking about the same issue. The bubbling I'm getting is where the main drain goes into the sump. Feels like the air trapped in and below the valve just doesn't get expelled

OP
OP
R

RandomFactoid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure if we're talking about the same issue. The bubbling I'm getting is where the main drain goes into the sump. Feels like the air trapped in and below the valve just doesn't get expelled
I can't edit my 1st post anymore, but Ive converted the overflow to a Herbie style

OP
OP
R

RandomFactoid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This got me thinking. Is it possible that due to a not-so-big tank size, the amount of water that goes down the weir (pump is 1000L/h) is not enough to create fast enough flow through a ~35mm ID pipe (which is big for such a flow, hence I need to close the valve quite a bit, hence the flow velocity under the valve ends up being quite slow and air gets trapped ?
Which would lead to a thought that perhaps I need to use a reducer under the valve and reduce the diameter of the pipe to gain faster flow ?
As per this equation
1674939521286.png

...or am I overthinking this ?

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 55 39.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 16 11.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 39 28.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back