Herbie Overflow getting split and going into 2 filter socks or E-valve into one sock and overflow into another?

ChalantJonas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is the thing I am currently new and plumbing my first tank. I am doing a Herbie overflow because that seems to be what fits on a tank that has 2 bulkheads. Essentially I have a sump with 2 filter socks and outlets to get plumbed to those filter socks. What I am trying to do is maximize the filtration of my sump. That being said my question is with a Herbie overflow should I have my main overflow drain be split into 2 filter socks and have the emergency drain just go directly into the sump??? Or should I have the main overflow go into one filter socks and the emergency "trickle" drain going into another filter sock??

Another question is should the "trickle" drain be dry or should have a small amount of overflow going into it at all times.

-Jonas

tank.jpg

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t split the primary full siphon line. That will make it more difficult to tune the primary siphon to purge the air out and make it run silently. You should always have a small trickle in the secondary, again, this serves the purpose of tuning the system to run silently. Have both the primary and secondary lines go into their respective socks, then after a couple of days, swap the secondary sock into the primary line’s sock holder and rotate as needed. Also, remember to have the drain pipe of the primary siphon no more than an inch beneath the surface of the sump water level.

Oh, and welcome to R2R! :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back