Herbivores in a Nano Reef

Ebslinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question: What are you using for Herbivores in your Nano Reef?

My Dilemma: I need to add to my clean up crew but am a little unsure as to the next addition. In the old days I would have just tossed a bunch of Mexico Turbos in there and called it good... but that doesn't seem like the right answer for a nano tank.

Tank is a Red Sea Reefer Nano (21 gallon display) filled with soft corals.

I currently have:

1 Emerald Crab
4 – 5 Cerith Snails
4 – 5 Nassarius Snails

Other Tank inhabitants:

2 Clown Fish (Ocellaris)
1 Blood Shrimp

I don’t really have an algae issue, but a there are a few spots of hair algae here and there. Although to be honest it's mostly dead (or on it's way) and turning white. I would like to up my current Nitrate and Phosphate levels… both stay almost at 0 (or at least undetectable on my Red Sea test kits.)

I know if I start adding nutrients to the tank, it's going to have more algae growth, hence the need to add a better clean up crew.

Please don't say a school of yellow tangs.. :)

Have been thinking about some hermit crabs but have had a few bad experiences in the past with them bulldozing corals.

Thoughts?

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of trochus snails would be ok. A tailspot blenny or close relative like the two spot or pictus blenny would work. A rainford goby will eat hair algae but can be harder to keep in tanks that aren’t well established with algae and micro fauna.

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pencil urchin. I had one in my 5 gal nano.. I over fed the tank so I could keep it happy with food..
It was fun to just lightly pluck him from the glass and put it on the rock I wanted cleaning. You could actually see how clean the rock got as it moved along.. sort of like someone mowing the lawn.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 99 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.9%
Back