Here is an idea to skip quarantine of snails...

KGV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think of the following idea to avoid quarantining snails. I propose three steps:

1) Brush the shell with an abrasive brush.
2) Apply hydrogen peroxide with a brush to the shell (as shown here: )
3) Briefly use a UV gun on the shell.

Sounds crazy. But man, keeping snails in QT for 76 days sounds crazy too.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
76 day quarantine?
Qt is in a separate tank. Display tank should have zero copper or medication in it. Inverts are safe to stay in display.
Medicating is accomplished in qt tank which they won’t be in. Fallow period is now 45-60 days- no longer ruled 76 days

OP
OP
KGV

KGV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
76 day quarantine?
Qt is in a separate tank. Display tank should have zero copper or medication in it. Inverts are safe to stay in display.
Medicating is accomplished in qt tank which they won’t be in. Fallow period is now 45-60 days- no longer ruled 76 days
Fair, enough but 45-60 days is still a long time.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Fair, enough but 45-60 days is still a long time.
Worth it and a cost savings when there’s no loss of livestock

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think of the following idea to avoid quarantining snails. I propose three steps:

1) Brush the shell with an abrasive brush.
2) Apply hydrogen peroxide with a brush to the shell (as shown here: )
3) Briefly use a UV gun on the shell.

Sounds crazy. But man, keeping snails in QT for 76 days sounds crazy too.

Snails trap water and such inside their shell. This is how nerites live so long out of water.

Snails without trap doors like nass and conches retract pretty far in and not sure how you would disinfect the inside.

76 days is overkill. I do 45 at 81 degrees.

OP
OP
KGV

KGV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snails trap water and such inside their shell. This is how nerites live so long out of water.

Snails without trap doors like nass and conches retract pretty far in and not sure how you would disinfect the inside.

76 days is overkill. I do 45 at 81 degrees.
My understanding was that encysted parasites were most likely to adhere to the outer shell. And, since the snail occupies most of the inner lining of the shell, that the inner shell surface, and the small amount of fluid in the shell, were negligible risks.

I successfully dipped the outer shell of snails in peroxide and even 0.1 Molar HCl. Successful meaning here that the snails were unharmed. Whether this removed all encysted parasites is an unknown. However, since coraline algae and sirorbid snails all detached from the shell during the treatment, because of the HCl, I am pretty sure there is no live form remaining on the outer shell.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding was that encysted parasites were most likely to adhere to the outer shell. And, since the snail occupies most of the inner lining of the shell, that the inner shell surface, and the small amount of fluid in the shell, were negligible risks.

I successfully dipped the outer shell of snails in peroxide and even 0.1 Molar HCl. Successful meaning here that the snails were unharmed. Whether this removed all encysted parasites is an unknown. However, since coraline algae and sirorbid snails all detached from the shell during the treatment, because of the HCl, I am pretty sure there is no live form remaining on the outer shell.

Yes it should be negligible. It just depends how much risk a person is willing to take. I used to use peroxide on my snails because they would come with some algae on them.

bigdrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is fully stocked, except for replacing snails on an as needed basis. As a result, I really don’t want to setup a QT tank for inconsistent/periodic snail additions.

I am liking your logic. Hopefully I don’t just like it out of convenience!

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 16 42.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 20 52.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 2 5.3%
Back