Here is my attempt at plywood stand -- trim question

Phil Cusimano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have 1/2 trim and 1/2 board so will a 3/4 nail go through 1" total thick door?
You should be just fine ... if I understanding your question correctly. you're taking 1/2 trim and placing it on top of a 1/2 board ... if that's what I'm reading you'll be just fine assuming you're using the nailer.

OP
OP
P

ps2cho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK here is my attempt at the door! I think I am pretty proud of myself! The dewalt 18ga brad nailer worked fantastic.
Letting the glue dry tonight. I likely won't update until the end of the week as I have to install new alternator in my car mon/tues, but once that job is done I believe I will test my router on a scrap piece of oak.

I think I want to use the router on the flat edges of the door...maybe it'll make it feel less "square" and bulky?

door1.jpg

door2.jpg

door3.jpg

Phil Cusimano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a bad idea to flatten the edges if you feel they need it, you should be very proud, from the looks of it seems like you did an excellent job! Isn't it rewarding?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK here is my attempt at the door! I think I am pretty proud of myself! The dewalt 18ga brad nailer worked fantastic.
Letting the glue dry tonight. I likely won't update until the end of the week as I have to install new alternator in my car mon/tues, but once that job is done I believe I will test my router on a scrap piece of oak.

I think I want to use the router on the flat edges of the door...maybe it'll make it feel less "square" and bulky?

door1.jpg

door2.jpg

door3.jpg

I'm a bit curious, if you have a router, why didn't you route the inside edges instead of nailing trim in it? Nothing wrong with it, I just find that routing the inside edges tends to make a cleaner finished product.

Bluefish9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I loath using 2 X 4 in aquarium builds, don't know exactly why hobbyist immediately think of going with 2 X 4. Think of purchased aquarium stands, were do you see 2 X 4 in the construction of them?

There isn't anything wrong with either method honestly. Glued and nailed plywood is capable of supporting a great deal of weight. However, I can think of several very good reasons why someone would opt for 2x4 construction over plywood.
•A quality table saw is in my opinion paramount in building a quality item using plywood sheets. Many people don't have a quality saw, or any table saw for that matter and I think we can all agree that having HD rip your pieces real quick on their panel saw is most certainly less than desirable.
•Transporting 4x8 sheets is logistically an impossibility for some people.
•comfortability - perhaps some are more comfortable framing a sound structure than they are with finish carpentry and joinery.

As for factory stands, while some may "do the job", IMHO they aren't the gold standard for stand construction. I was looking at a factory Marineland stand the other day for a 250 deep dimension tank and the tank wasn't even to be supported by the plywood sheets, but by little 3/4" blocks affixed to the inside. It was unbelievable.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There isn't anything wrong with either method honestly. Glued and nailed plywood is capable of supporting a great deal of weight. However, I can think of several very good reasons why someone would opt for 2x4 construction over plywood.
•A quality table saw is in my opinion paramount in building a quality item using plywood sheets. Many people don't have a quality saw, or any table saw for that matter and I think we can all agree that having HD rip your pieces real quick on their panel saw is most certainly less than desirable.
•comfortability - perhaps some are more comfortable framing a sound structure than they are with finish carpentry and joinery.

As for factory stands, while some may "do the job", IMHO they aren't the gold standard for stand construction. I was looking at a factory Marineland stand the other day for a 250 deep dimension tank and the tank wasn't even to be supported by the plywood sheets, but by little 3/4" blocks affixed to the inside. It was unbelievable.
Well stated. Especially on the cheap factory stands. If I were getting anything over 55g I would never use one of those. I know they work well for thousands of people, but I still wouldn't trust putting one in my house.

Bluefish9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well stated. Especially on the cheap factory stands. If I were getting anything over 55g I would never use one of those. I know they work well for thousands of people, but I still wouldn't trust putting one in my house.

Not to mention, its nearly impossible to get a sump in those factory stands lol

Phil Cusimano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You make several valid points ... and indeed there's nothing wrong with either type of construction method that I will not argue. That being said, the main reason I dislike using 2x4's for an Aquarium stand is that it takes up IMHO valuable space inside the aquarium stand that can be used for equipment sump, ATO reservoirs, dosing containers etc. Depending on how the individual constructs the stand you're losing an 1 1/2 to 3 1/2 inches when you add up the six sides, that's a considerable amount of lost space, on top of which your adding plywood to 1/2 or 3/4. Yes, while having HD or Lowes is less than desirable ... it can service to get cuts down to rough dimensions and make them more manageable to transport. To be perfect honestly with you, before I bought a high-quality table saw I would have HD or lowes rough cut the furniture grade plywood for me. Once home, I would used nothing more than a circular saw with a high-quality blade, then made a jig that would help me rip or crosscut down to the final dimensions with not more than a perfectly straight metal stud screwed into a piece of 48" x 9" piece of plywood taking the circular saw ripping it right against the metal stud, now that becomes the guide or jig for the circular saw to ride against and making straight cuts perfectly every time the waste piece became the piece I would use on the opposite side so the circular saw wouldn't dip. To mark the final dimensions I used a pair of stair gauge attached to a framing square. That how I built most of my project before I got my table saw. I think you hit the nail on the head with the comfort level of finished carpentry and joinery. Being totally honest I'm not totally comfortable with every type of joinery, as making wood projects is a hobby for me and done purely out of fun.

Let's not even start the discussion of factory stands, for there I wholeheartedly agree with you. That being said, factory stands do serve a purpose for those that do not have the space to build anything or are totally uncomfortable with building a stand :) It wasn't my intention to offend anyone, and I'm sorry if I unintentionally did. Just seems as if Youtube runs rampant with 2x4 aquarium stand construction when there are other options, I think that's what got me started on this pet peeve :). However, at the end of the day, it's all about what the individual is comfortable with when it comes to DYI projects.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You make several valid points ... and indeed there's nothing wrong with either type of construction method that I will not argue. That being said, the main reason I dislike using 2x4's for an Aquarium stand is that it takes up IMHO valuable space inside the aquarium stand that can be used for equipment sump, ATO reservoirs, dosing containers etc. Depending on how the individual constructs the stand you're losing an 1 1/2 to 3 1/2 inches when you add up the six sides, that's a considerable amount of lost space, on top of which your adding plywood to 1/2 or 3/4. Yes, while having HD or Lowes is less than desirable ... it can service to get cuts down to rough dimensions and make them more manageable to transport. To be perfect honestly with you, before I bought a high-quality table saw I would have HD or lowes rough cut the furniture grade plywood for me. Once home, I would used nothing more than a circular saw with a high-quality blade, then made a jig that would help me rip or crosscut down to the final dimensions with not more than a perfectly straight metal stud screwed into a piece of 48" x 9" piece of plywood taking the circular saw ripping it right against the metal stud, now that becomes the guide or jig for the circular saw to ride against and making straight cuts perfectly every time the waste piece became the piece I would use on the opposite side so the circular saw wouldn't dip. To mark the final dimensions I used a pair of stair gauge attached to a framing square. That how I built most of my project before I got my table saw. I think you hit the nail on the head with the comfort level of finished carpentry and joinery. Being totally honest I'm not totally comfortable with every type of joinery, as making wood projects is a hobby for me and done purely out of fun.

Let's not even start the discussion of factory stands, for there I wholeheartedly agree with you. That being said, factory stands do serve a purpose for those that do not have the space to build anything or are totally uncomfortable with building a stand :) It wasn't my intention to offend anyone, and I'm sorry if I unintentionally did. Just seems as if Youtube runs rampant with 2x4 aquarium stand construction when there are other options, I think that's what got me started on this pet peeve :). However, at the end of the day, it's all about what the individual is comfortable with when it comes to DYI projects.
I think people just associate 2x4's with structural integrity since they see houses built with it. We get this mental image that it is a strong building method that we don't necessarily have with plywood.

Personally, I would prefer to build with 2x4's to make a stand. You lose a little space, but I like the fact that if I want to mount things in the stand it gives me more wood thickness to play with. I don't want to have to worry about using too long a screw and having it come out the side of the stand. I picked up a used stand and added some 2x4's just to give me more mounting options.

This is really all personal preference. A well built plywood stand will work just as good as a well built 2x4 stand. A poorly built stand using either method will be just as likely to fail.

Phil Cusimano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can def agree with the loss of space inside a 2x4 stand.
Like minded individuals stick together ... it's IMHO it's just too much lost space, ... a solid 3/4 furniture grade plywood constructed stand is certainly more than capable of handling the stress placed on it from aquariums of 10g to 160g if not more. I actually haven't done a load bearing calculation on how large of an aquarium a 3/4 plywood constructed stand can hold. One thing is for sure IMHO anything over 170g I personally start thinking about metal framework surround by a plywood skirt.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you guys suggest I use a rattlecan laquer if I am looking for a more glossy finish that has some depth to it?
In my opinion, that depends on your skill level when it comes to applying it. The depth is created by applying many thin layers. I prefer to use a brush to apply it and then a very fine steel wool (gently) to smooth between applications. If you struggle applying it with a brush then the spray can may be a better product.

Phil Cusimano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think people just associate 2x4's with structural integrity since they see houses built with it. We get this mental image that it is a strong building method that we don't necessarily have with plywood.

Personally, I would prefer to build with 2x4's to make a stand. You lose a little space, but I like the fact that if I want to mount things in the stand it gives me more wood thickness to play with. I don't want to have to worry about using too long a screw and having it come out the side of the stand. I picked up a used stand and added some 2x4's just to give me more mounting options.

This is really all personal preference. A well built plywood stand will work just as good as a well built 2x4 stand. A poorly built stand using either method will be just as likely to fail.

Hmm ... you may be right about the association with 2x4's as framing material. Point is that there's more than one way to built an aquarium stand. I think you'll agree that we're all here to help each other out and share our opinions and experiences. We both seem to agree that it's a personal preference issue, personally, I prefer a solid plywood constructed stand, space is valuable underneath an aquarium stand. We both know that there are workarounds for mounting additional equipment inside the stand without piercing thru the outer wall of the stand. Either method is highly likely to fail if not properly built, and there's certainly nothing wrong with picking up a used stand and shoring it up with 2x4 that work's too. Has we all know any hobby is expensive these days Marine Aquariums, Photography, Skiing, etc. Even a nano reef aquarium can stand to run into thousands, depending on stocking and equipment purchased.

One of the very nice features of R2R is the pleasant discourse among its members even went opinions vary, but in my heart, I believe we all try to leverage on each other's experience at the end of the day ... and why I have enjoyed our exchanges ... bottom line.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm ... you may be right about the association with 2x4's as framing material. Point is that there's more than one way to built an aquarium stand. I think you'll agree that we're all here to help each other out and share our opinions and experiences. We both seem to agree that it's a personal preference issue, personally, I prefer a solid plywood constructed stand, space is valuable underneath an aquarium stand. We both know that there are workarounds for mounting additional equipment inside the stand without piercing thru the outer wall of the stand. Either method is highly likely to fail if not properly built, and there's certainly nothing wrong with picking up a used stand and shoring it up with 2x4 that work's too. Has we all know any hobby is expensive these days Marine Aquariums, Photography, Skiing, etc. Even a nano reef aquarium can stand to run into thousands, depending on stocking and equipment purchased.

One of the very nice features of R2R is the pleasant discourse among its members even went opinions vary, but in my heart, I believe we all try to leverage on each other's experience at the end of the day ... and why I have enjoyed our exchanges ... bottom line.
Very well said. There are so many right ways to do things in this hobby, and life in general. Just because we all have our preferences doesn't mean that the other options won't work. The only time a problem arises is when we are intolerant of the other methods. I personally never want to push someone into following my preference if they are more comfortable with a different way that will also work.

Phil Cusimano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to mention, its nearly impossible to get a sump in those factory stands lol
Word ... That's a fact ... LOL Can tell you how many times I've tried to squeeze myself into those factory stands ... LOL it's like trying to work on today's cars you have to have the tiniest of hands!

Phil Cusimano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very well said. There are so many right ways to do things in this hobby, and life in general. Just because we all have our preferences doesn't mean that the other options won't work. The only time a problem arises is when we are intolerant of the other methods. I personally never want to push someone into following my preference if they are more comfortable with a different way that will also work.
Thank you, Oh I would NEVER do something like that ... there are many ways to skin a cat! Bottom line we can offer suggestions, opinions, and personal experiences, but at the end of the day, the hobbyist needs to feel comfortable with the method they are using. As for myself, I'd like to think I'm and open-mind individual listing to all ... but hey that's just me. Other on R2R may feel differently.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 39 19.9%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 145 74.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.6%
Back