Here we go again!!!! Trying to ban saltwater fish collecting again!

secretreefer

**MAD PHANTOM SCIENTIST**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, just came across this article. If you're an keeper or lover of saltwater aquarium fish please read!!!!!!!!!!!!! these guys want to ban collecting AGAIN!!! Meaning NO FISH EXPORTED FROM HAWAII. I'm all for more regulations but these guys want to ban it COMPLETELY. :sure::sure: STAND UP AND BE HEARD!!!! click on the story below and SUBMIT!!!

Hawaii gets another proposal to ban marine aquarium fish collection

Last edited:

Lateral72

Chaetodontidae
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snorkel Bob?

I wonder how someone could go about getting his business legislated out? The thousands of tourists that he dumps on the reefs do way, way more damage than the collection of Aquarium fish.

OP
OP
secretreefer

secretreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup. i wonder how much corals have death by sunscreen and fuel poisoning? LOL!

GR808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
uggghhhh.. Here we go again... Same song and dance from the same people..... BBBBOOOOOOORRRRIIIINNNNNNGGGGGGG

You know why do some people do such a good job about complaining and being reactive when Hawaii has all the resources... Let's be part of the solution and be pro-active support aquaculture... Im sure with all the complaining they could acquire some federal funds and raise all the fish they would like to sell or to replenish the ocean. there are ways,,, be creative

OP
OP
secretreefer

secretreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C'mon guys. really nobody cares? no bandit angels, no flame wrasses, no harlequin shrimp, no golden dwarf morays, no potters angels, no flame angels....etc...etc.........

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, just came across this article. If you're an keeper or lover of saltwater aquarium fish please read!!!!!!!!!!!!! these guys want to ban collecting AGAIN!!! Meaning NO FISH EXPORTED FROM HAWAII. I'm all for more regulations but these guys want to ban it COMPLETELY. :sure::sure: STAND UP AND BE HEARD!!!! click on the story below and SUBMIT!!!

Hawaii gets another proposal to ban marine aquarium fish collection

unfortunately any regulation they come up with will just be amended to a ban anyway. i would not support any regulation other than the ones currently in place

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, not trying to sound like a dummy, but didn't the article say you had to send something in by October 5th? Is there anything we can do at this point? If so, R2R will stand up for sure!

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I care, read a couple days ago w Pederson's letter to be considered. Which was really well written.

I agree w management as with any resource. I don't think the ban stands a chance. Even Lost Fish is not supporting it.

Tihsho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way I see it, as my family is from Oahu, the waters are way over fished. I've seen it first hand, while growing up the environments have completely changed. Do I want this to cause a ban? No. Are hobbyists the reason for this? Not 100% The way I honestly feel this should be dealt with is by collecting every few years. Problem with that is the prices on the retail ends sky rocket, but what does that mean? We have to promote captive breeding. It's not easy and in most cases not feasible, but it's a reason to look into it. Part of the hobby is not only to appreciate the species but to promote some sort of conservation, no?

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish in Hawaii are definately a resource and a valuable one at that. And as a resource they should be managed. I live in CO, and I BELIEVE that the single biggest revenue generator for the state are fees collected from resource management. It can be done, can be done responsibly and sustainably. We manage many animals and regulate how many of each species are taken from the population. The state employs many scientists and resource managers that keep count and study the populations to determine how many from year to year can be taken and what time of year they can be taken. Pretty serious stuff, felony offense if you are caught in violation. There is probably some level of this going on now in HI, but apparently there needs to be a much higher level. It will increase retail, but at least there will not be a ban. But could be a win/win for HI.

Not sure of the commercial fisheries, how they are managed, but in most cases they have pretty strict regulation. I hope that is going on as there is a much larger impact to that resource.

GR808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe in bans. That will only open up black markets and raise costs. Like Tihsho said, responsible captive breeding I believe is key. If there was some way government subsidies could help in promoting captive breeding, then that's great. Although it's just easier for the government to declare an area a santuary then call it done.

Chops30

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone's allways gonna be an activist. People want clean energy so we build Hrydro dams but wait that blocks fish migration, so we build wind turbines, but wait wind turbines blades can kill birds, and cause shadow polution<---that's right polution from it's shadow, solar panels cause exessive heat blah blah blah. You get my piont, there will allways be someone who doesn't like what we as a society are doing. Ever see tree hugger hikers carrying bags of their own feces out of the forest cause it polutes it.

Tihsho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a license all commercial trappers have to get in order to collect any wild specimen. But the problem is any joe schmoe can go and collect them self and populate their own aquaria. After a few years they realize the fish gets too big then they sell it to one of the local distributors and go back and catch another. That's one of the problems I've seen. The only way around that is to have something like a VIN... how bout a FIN? (No pun intended...) But that's too much work and a little overboard.

Hobbyists need to start by being responsible and doing what it legally, humanely and environmentally needs to be done to keep their hobby going and their wild caught supply coming. I'm all for captive breeding, but as I said before it's very hard on some species, others next to impossible. With the progression of aquatic technology there will have to be easier and easier ways to start breeding. Hell, captive bred F1's should be released into the wild when they are sub adults to help boost the wild population.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 130 75.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 9.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 25 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back