Here we go... first ever QT

FiddlersReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to advice here, I've setup a 20 gallon QT with a HOB filter (only a sponge in it) and a sponge filter for extra airation, to try to save my tank's fish and fix whatever disease got into my reef.

I have about 1 cup of sand in a plastic lid in there to try to make my watchman goby happy, but so far he hasn't found it.

I added copper power today, and will follow the "Current QT Protocol" document from here until the middle of december. My fish were actually sicker than I realized. Once I managed to catch them all (5 pj cardinals, 2 purple firefish, 1 watchman goby) I noticed one cardinal has some fungus, one has a white blob on one eye, and one firefish has some sort of fungus. I never saw any of that on any of the fish that kept dying though, so that's a bit strange to me.

I'm curious how often I should do a water change on the QT? Maintain the same weekly schedule I did on the DT? I know I have to mix more copper power for the replacement water.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to advice here, I've setup a 20 gallon QT with a HOB filter (only a sponge in it) and a sponge filter for extra airation, to try to save my tank's fish and fix whatever disease got into my reef.

I have about 1 cup of sand in a plastic lid in there to try to make my watchman goby happy, but so far he hasn't found it.

I added copper power today, and will follow the "Current QT Protocol" document from here until the middle of december. My fish were actually sicker than I realized. Once I managed to catch them all (5 pj cardinals, 2 purple firefish, 1 watchman goby) I noticed one cardinal has some fungus, one has a white blob on one eye, and one firefish has some sort of fungus. I never saw any of that on any of the fish that kept dying though, so that's a bit strange to me.

I'm curious how often I should do a water change on the QT? Maintain the same weekly schedule I did on the DT? I know I have to mix more copper power for the replacement water.

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Do you know what disease you are chasing here? If it isn't a protozoal infection, then copper isn't the best course of action. My quarantine protocol is designed for fish with no symptoms. When there are symptoms present, you need to accurately treat for that disease.

Can you post video and pictures?

You should probably buy some "bacteria in a bottle" like Dr. Tim's, because it doesn't sound to me that you have any beneficial bacterial in the tank and your ammonia is going to skyrocket if there isn't.

Jay

OP
OP
FiddlersReef

FiddlersReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Do you know what disease you are chasing here? If it isn't a protozoal infection, then copper isn't the best course of action. My quarantine protocol is designed for fish with no symptoms. When there are symptoms present, you need to accurately treat for that disease.

Can you post video and pictures?

You should probably buy some "bacteria in a bottle" like Dr. Tim's, because it doesn't sound to me that you have any beneficial bacterial in the tank and your ammonia is going to skyrocket if there isn't.

Jay

I did use Brightwell Aquatics Microbacter Start, to seed the filter, and am of course monitoring it carefully. I've also got one of those seachem ammonia badges in there.

When I initially set this up, it was because fish kept dying, and the consensus was that I had brook/velvet in the tank and the only solution was to go fallow and QT the current inhabitants. So that started yesterday. The fish in the QT are evidently the hardiest ones, because they're the only fish that have survived past a week or two in the DT. So I don't really know what I'm trying to treat. Just want to get them all healthy so they can return to the DT once the fallow period ends in mid December.

It was only when I caught them all that I noticed some fuzz on a couple, but I can't actually see that again today. I wouldn't think copper would work that fast, though I thought it did say it was also for external fungus as well as ich.

Video of QT attached. Note that the sand is only in there to try to help out the watchman, though he's ignoring it so far.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I did weekly water changes of about 25 percent. You are correct in adding the copper to the water for the change before doing to the water change.

Listen to @Jay Hemdal as far as diseases go. I am simply telling you what my water change schedule was with QT tanks.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did use Brightwell Aquatics Microbacter Start, to seed the filter, and am of course monitoring it carefully. I've also got one of those seachem ammonia badges in there.

When I initially set this up, it was because fish kept dying, and the consensus was that I had brook/velvet in the tank and the only solution was to go fallow and QT the current inhabitants. So that started yesterday. The fish in the QT are evidently the hardiest ones, because they're the only fish that have survived past a week or two in the DT. So I don't really know what I'm trying to treat. Just want to get them all healthy so they can return to the DT once the fallow period ends in mid December.

It was only when I caught them all that I noticed some fuzz on a couple, but I can't actually see that again today. I wouldn't think copper would work that fast, though I thought it did say it was also for external fungus as well as ich.

Video of QT attached. Note that the sand is only in there to try to help out the watchman, though he's ignoring it so far.

Well - you described things pretty well. I didn't get any additional clues from the video. I don't see any overt signs of velvet or brooklynella. The one firefish looks good, but the other is breathing hard and has a bacterial lesion on its right side. The two cardinals have cloudy eyes, but the other looks good. A real mixed bag here!

I'm worried that the one firefish is being bullied by the other - they often fight.
Are all of the cardinals still feeding o.k.? If so, I would ignore their eyes for now.
Are you up to a full dose of copper now?

Jay

OP
OP
FiddlersReef

FiddlersReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well - you described things pretty well. I didn't get any additional clues from the video. I don't see any overt signs of velvet or brooklynella. The one firefish looks good, but the other is breathing hard and has a bacterial lesion on its right side. The two cardinals have cloudy eyes, but the other looks good. A real mixed bag here!

I'm worried that the one firefish is being bullied by the other - they often fight.
Are all of the cardinals still feeding o.k.? If so, I would ignore their eyes for now.
Are you up to a full dose of copper now?

Jay
Thanks for looking at the video.

Both firefish seem to be eating and not competing for that anyway. Most of the cardinals ate tonight. They all just went into the QT last night.

For copper, it should have been at 2.5, since I just added the last of the 29.5 ml dose for 20 gallons, but the Hanna checker said 2.07. So I added another 1 ml and will check in a couple hours.

I think the guess of brook/velvet was suggested just because everything kept dying within a few days of being added to the DT, except these survivors. Just suddenly dead in the sand and not eating.

OP
OP
FiddlersReef

FiddlersReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal - You've used/recommended the Hanna checker for copper, right?

I can't seem to get reliable readings with mine (brand new). I dosed the 1 oz (29.5 ml) of copper power for a 20 gal tank, and got 2.07. So I added 1 ml, and then got 3.23! So I assumed I must have done something wrong, so retested and got 2.1.

Added 1 more ml last night. Checked this morning and it 3.73!

Now I don't know whether to change out some water, or just assume that it must be above 2 somewhere, and let it ride and monitor it. I thought 3+ ppm was probably lethal, but the fish seem fine. I'll really be upset if I try to save them and end up killing them with a copper overdose. :(

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you cleaning the glass of the specimen bottle before inserting it into the checker? You need to make sure there are no finger prints, etc. I use Copper Power and it comes out to 1.5 mL per Gallon of water. Hanna checked works well in reading it.

OP
OP
FiddlersReef

FiddlersReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you cleaning the glass of the specimen bottle before inserting it into the checker? You need to make sure there are no finger prints, etc. I use Copper Power and it comes out to 1.5 mL per Gallon of water. Hanna checked works well in reading it.

Yes, I have a microfiber cloth hanging there that I always use to wipe down the checker. 1.5 ml x20 gallons would be 30, so my conversion of 1 oz to 29.5 ml was pretty close. So I'm not sure how I got bizarre readings. It is tough to get all the fine powder to shake down out of the packet sometimes, but I would think even if a tiny bit didn't shake out, that would result in a lower reading, not higher. And were only taking a few grains.

OP
OP
FiddlersReef

FiddlersReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I just went down and tested again, using a new syringe to get my sample water, and the test came out 2.26. So clearly I did something wrong, just not sure what. Anyway, thanks for the confirmation that the hanna checker should work for copper. I feel much better now. :)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I just went down and tested again, using a new syringe to get my sample water, and the test came out 2.26. So clearly I did something wrong, just not sure what. Anyway, thanks for the confirmation that the hanna checker should work for copper. I feel much better now. :)
One issue I’ve had is getting all the reagent out of the packet and into the tube. Other than that, I’ve gotten pretty consistent results with the HR Hanna checker. I will say - I got one of these just to try it out, I use a Hach spectrophotometer for my actual copper testing….
Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back