Hereditary Clownfish Deformities?

cil311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone come across a study or had personal experiences that prove which if any deformities in clownfish are hereditary?

scottedontknow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know that clowns have any hereditary deformities per say. BUT constant inbreeding (like any other animal) WILL cause deformities over time (jaw issues, skin patterns, fin deformities along with gill issues etc etc). These also come from POOR breeding conditions.

Octo clownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not entirely sure Im still new to breeding. But what I have noticed (I breed Picasso clowns) is it seems the more white on the fish the higher the probability is of a deformity or so it seems my first truly succesful clutch of 250 had 12 deformed really nice mostly white pattern fish and about 5 platinums where as the regular fish or ones with more orange on them was like 3 or 4 with deformaties... Could just be a coincidence Im not sure but looking at the clutch behind that one it almost apears to be the same type of way. I wont know until they reach a bigger size to truly see the shape of gills. Most people or at least those I have talked to and or read about believe it has a lot to do with water quality now I truly believe that as well but I would assume that genetically spaking there has to be something in the DNA/genetics like to much inbreeding that would certainly create a disfigured fish. Or just maybe the more white of a fish for w.e reason the genetics do not allow the fishbto tolerate harsher water quality than not but thwn again Im mostly just speaking hypothetically.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a baby captive bred with a deformed spine just behind the head, kept him for about a year, I guess a much wider question for the industry, are they watching the genetics or just producing fish?! ;)

OP
OP
cil311

cil311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a baby captive bred with a deformed spine just behind the head, kept him for about a year, I guess a much wider question for the industry, are they watching the genetics or just producing fish?! ;)
Exactly! I am confused at to why there isn’t more information about this. Or perhaps the information just isn’t being shared?

OP
OP
cil311

cil311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not entirely sure Im still new to breeding. But what I have noticed (I breed Picasso clowns) is it seems the more white on the fish the higher the probability is of a deformity or so it seems my first truly succesful clutch of 250 had 12 deformed really nice mostly white pattern fish and about 5 platinums where as the regular fish or ones with more orange on them was like 3 or 4 with deformaties... Could just be a coincidence Im not sure but looking at the clutch behind that one it almost apears to be the same type of way. I wont know until they reach a bigger size to truly see the shape of gills. Most people or at least those I have talked to and or read about believe it has a lot to do with water quality now I truly believe that as well but I would assume that genetically spaking there has to be something in the DNA/genetics like to much inbreeding that would certainly create a disfigured fish. Or just maybe the more white of a fish for w.e reason the genetics do not allow the fishbto tolerate harsher water quality than not but thwn again Im mostly just speaking hypothetically.
I would tend to agree with you on this. I have been breeding clownfish for a couple years and have only seen pinched heads on my Wyoming White and Frostbites (both very white). I am interested in finding out if pinched head broodstock are more likely to produced offspring with pinched heads.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back