Hermit crab in HOB refuge

Ricksreeefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have an aquaclear 50 as my refuge for my nano tank. It filled with cheato and has a small bed of sand. I was hoping to put my tiny hermit In there because I have some baby nassarius snails that are about to hatch. Is it ok or is it not? Thank you!

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be OK as long as there is food. I dont think they eat chaeto so the fuge needs some other algae food source. Ie, new spout GHA. Hermits dobt usually touch gha if its already a long strand

Can also drop in algae wafers/a few mysis shrimp to feed them if there's no other source of food.

OP
OP
Ricksreeefs

Ricksreeefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be OK as long as there is food. I dont think they eat chaeto so the fuge needs some other algae food source. Ie, new spout GHA. Hermits dobt usually touch gha if its already a long strand

Can also drop in algae wafers/a few mysis shrimp to feed them if there's no other source of food.
ok so I guess if I drop a few mysis shrimps in every week should he be good?

wmb0003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I have an aquaclear 50 as my refuge for my nano tank. It filled with cheato and has a small bed of sand. I was hoping to put my tiny hermit In there because I have some baby nassarius snails that are about to hatch. Is it ok or is it not? Thank you!
Should be ok, as others have stated ensure it has food. This is only short term correct?-

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so I guess if I drop a few mysis shrimps in every week should he be good?
As long as he can reach and actually eat it. Not sure what the flow situation in your tank is but if the mysis doesn't settle on the sandbed but is stuck in the chaeto, if hermet can't climb into the chaeto ball then it won't be able to eat it

Algae wafers usually work better bc they can denser and can sink to sandbed easier.

OP
OP
Ricksreeefs

Ricksreeefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as he can reach and actually eat it. Not sure what the flow situation in your tank is but if the mysis doesn't settle on the sandbed but is stuck in the chaeto, if hermet can't climb into the chaeto ball then it won't be able to eat it

Algae wafers usually work better bc they can denser and can sink to sandbed easier.
ok, I think I have some of those so ill give it a shot! Thank you!

OP
OP
Ricksreeefs

Ricksreeefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since your query is answered, time for my curiosity question. Can you post a pic of your fuge? I absolutely do not need to do set one up, but I'd love to be able to do one so... wanna see what yours look like. :3
ok! nothing special :)
took some cheato out btw to make some more room
Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 3.58.42 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 3.58.45 PM.png

OP
OP
Ricksreeefs

Ricksreeefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Thanks so much!

What light is that? Doesn't cause any issue placed against the HOB?
I've had no issue whatsoever with it and my cheato is growing like a weed! here's the link but this one looks like a newer model then the one I have.

Back