Hermit Crab Shells and sand

That1guy07

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

So a couple weeks ago I bought some new shells for my marine hermit crabs in my reef tank. They needed new ones and I didn't want them to die because I think they are very pretty. Anyway, I also have a Gold Faced Sleeper Goby who I've had for a least 2 years now. He obviously likes to sift sand around and move around the shells. One thing he does indirectly though is fill up these new shells with sand. Since there is sand in these shells, the false spaghetti worms (Phyllochaetopterus) in my tank like to make little sand tunnels into them and then stay in there until I dig them out for my hermit crabs to switch into when they feel like it. I guess my question is, will hermit crabs tank sand out of a new shell when they want to switch or are they too stupid for that? lol

Also for some reason my hermit crabs love to stay under my birds nest coral. Theres like 20 of them under there right now just chillin

Last edited:

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

So a couple weeks ago I bought some new shells for my marine hermit crabs in my reef tank. They needed new ones and I didn't want them to die because I think they are very pretty. Anyway, I also have a Gold Faced Sleeper Goby who I've had for a least 2 years now. He obviously likes to sift sand around and move around the shells. One thing he does indirectly though is fill up these new shells with sand. Since there is sand in these shells, the false spaghetti worms (Phyllochaetopterus) in my tank like to make little sand tunnels into them and then stay in there until I dig them out for my hermit crabs to switch into when they feel like it. I guess my question is, will hermit crabs tank sand out of a new shell when they want to switch or are they too stupid for that? lol

Also for some reason my hermit crabs love to stay under my birds nest coral. Theres like 20 of them under there right now just chillin
Just be glad your hermits don't climb your bird's nest, I removed all my hermits because most of them would climb up into my monti and break branches off. I think they are planning something. One day I would remove a few, the next day they would be back plus several of there cousins. It just got out of control, as I pulled them off my monti and in the bucket they will go, back to my LFS.

OP
OP
That1guy07

That1guy07

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just be glad your hermits don't climb your bird's nest, I removed all my hermits because most of them would climb up into my monti and break branches off. I think they are planning something. One day I would remove a few, the next day they would be back plus several of there cousins. It just got out of control, as I pulled them off my monti and in the bucket they will go, back to my LFS.
Mine also climb my birds nest and Monti digitata. They don't do any damage. They just kinda sit there

GillianB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

hermit crabs can scoop out sand from a shell as long as it's not totally buried

I sometimes intentionally burry shells to keep algae off them until a crab need a new one

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back