Hermit crabs dying

anthony2012

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to saltwater aquarium hobby. I have a 20 gallon tank fish only. I have had general success with it up to this point (the fish are doing fine). I bought 4 electric blue hermit crabs for a CUC and in the last 2 weeks have lost 3. I also have a cleaner shrimp who has been doing great. My salinity is at 34 ppm 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 2.5 ppm nitrates, and 0 phosphate. I also sent out a test to ICP laboratories just to make sure the water is good and it all came back normal except for slightly high calcium. I'm not really sure what I'm doing wrong. Any advice on how I can be more successful with these guys?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to saltwater aquarium hobby. I have a 20 gallon tank fish only. I have had general success with it up to this point (the fish are doing fine). I bought 4 electric blue hermit crabs for a CUC and in the last 2 weeks have lost 3. I also have a cleaner shrimp who has been doing great. My salinity is at 34 ppm 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 2.5 ppm nitrates, and 0 phosphate. I also sent out a test to ICP laboratories just to make sure the water is good and it all came back normal except for slightly high calcium. I'm not really sure what I'm doing wrong. Any advice on how I can be more successful with these guys?

First off do you have empty shells for them to move to? When they out grow the shell their in, they will look for larger shells.

Are you sure it wasn't a molt you have seen? Molts can look like a dead hermit.

OP
OP
A

anthony2012

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off do you have empty shells for them to move to? When they out grow the shell their in, they will look for larger shells.

Are you sure it wasn't a molt you have seen? Molts can look like a dead hermit.
Thanks for replying. Two I know for sure weren't molts. today I thought I lost one more but I just looked in and he was in his shell. I was fooled by a molt, it really looked just like one of them. I do have shells for them to move into. The two I lost first were within the first few days but my other two have been good. I think you solved my problem. It was just a molt I'm still learning haha. Thanks for your help.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your welcome. Shrimp do the same.

Unfortunately, none live terribly long. May be a year or two.

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, molts have fooled me many times, but molting is good! Hermits just aren’t that long lived unfortunately, you’re always gonna be buying more. I have a 20 gallon and I use 10 hermits, the rules of thumb are 1 per 2-5 gallons depending on your tank. I had a lot of hair algae and feed pretty heavy so I went with 1 per every 2 gallons.

OP
OP
A

anthony2012

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, molts have fooled me many times, but molting is good! Hermits just aren’t that long lived unfortunately, you’re always gonna be buying more. I have a 20 gallon and I use 10 hermits, the rules of thumb are 1 per 2-5 gallons depending on your tank. I had a lot of hair algae and feed pretty heavy so I went with 1 per every 2 gallons.
I plan to get more but I wanted to make sure what I had is staying alive. I don't know why my first two didn't make it but I think it's unrelated to water quality. I'll probably order more and maybe do a slower acclimation 1.5 hours instead of just 1.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I have had the same pair of hermit crabs for 12 years and coral banded shrimp for 7 years. They live quite a while.

OP
OP
A

anthony2012

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I have had the same pair of hermit crabs for 12 years and coral banded shrimp for 7 years. They live quite a while.
Do you do anything different or special? Or is it just staying up on the basics?

Moscar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! It's right that our pets should live longer in a tank than on a reef!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing special and I don't feed crabs or shrimp. They eat what they find.

Those shrimp spawned dozens of times.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This pair died after about 7 years. That was in the 70s.

This pair of hermits died a week apart after about 12 years.

OP
OP
A

anthony2012

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This pair died after about 7 years. That was in the 70s.

This pair of hermits died a week apart after about 12 years.

Awesome! Thanks for sharing that. That'll be my goal then now that I know it's possible.

Back