Hermit crabs feeding

FAHADREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello
i am stocking a hermit crab only tank for selling and its fairly new that there isn't much alage to eat from what are my other alternatives to feed them.
also can i feed them brown alage that i feed my tangs like can i throw a sheet on alage in there tank

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have some huge hermit crabs in my tank & I’ll occasionally throw them some algae pellets - the sinking kind. They literally come running and practically fall from the rocks they love them so much. They are good because you can get them cheap & they won’t make a mess as they get picked apart like algae sheets.
this is a pretty big bag and will last you quite a while. The wafers are larger and they’re easy to break into smaller pieces.
Hikari Usa Inc AHK21328 tropical Algae Wafer 8.8-Ounce

SteveMac84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some huge hermit crabs in my tank & I’ll occasionally throw them some algae pellets - the sinking kind. They literally come running and practically fall from the rocks they love them so much. They are good because you can get them cheap & they won’t make a mess as they get picked apart like algae sheets.
this is a pretty big bag and will last you quite a while. The wafers are larger and they’re easy to break into smaller pieces.
Hikari Usa Inc AHK21328 tropical Algae Wafer 8.8-Ounce

Good to know. Thank you. How often ?

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good to know. Thank you. How often ?
Since it sounds like there’s not much else for them to scavenge yet, I would throw some in every couple days to a couple times a week. They’re definitely not going to leave any scraps behind… mine never do and they do have other stuff to snack on. I’m not sure how big your tank is going to be but I take 3-4 of the large algae wafers every few days and break them up into smaller pieces for my 33 gallon tank. I probably have 15-20 hermits in there, along with a Halloween hermit crab, an emerald crab and a brittle star who goes nuts for these things. I like to give them enough chunks so that they’re not fighting over them, and they will.

SteveMac84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since it sounds like there’s not much else for them to scavenge yet, I would throw some in every couple days to a couple times a week. They’re definitely not going to leave any scraps behind… mine never do and they do have other stuff to snack on. I’m not sure how big your tank is going to be but I take 3-4 of the large algae wafers every few days and break them up into smaller pieces for my 33 gallon tank. I probably have 15-20 hermits in there, along with a Halloween hermit crab, an emerald crab and a brittle star who goes nuts for these things. I like to give them enough chunks so that they’re not fighting over them, and they will.
Amazing. Thank you so much. I just dropped mine in for the first time. They havent found them yet. But I’m sure they won’t leave anything behind. I have a 35 gallon. 6 new hermits. Hardly any algea in my tank

SteveMac84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing. Thank you so much. I just dropped mine in for the first time. They havent found them yet. But I’m sure they won’t leave anything behind. I have a 35 gallon. 6 new hermits. Hardly any algea in my tank
Happily Eating away.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back