Hermit Crabs suddenly dying

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i have a 20 gallon with about 10 hermits and theyve been doing a great job at cleaning up the frags from algae but all the sudden half of them died and they were only 2 months old. The fish and the corals are doing great, even the super sensitive goni. I tested the water and its 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 10 nitrate, 9.9 Kh, .15 phos, dont have calcium or magnesium test yet. I really have new clue as to how they died but I think a possibility is that they may have starved? There is plenty of algae on some rocks for them though. Any clues as to how they died?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know. Are they "dead" or are the shells now empty (something ate them)

Did you use coral dip (Bayer) recently? I've had inverts get poisoned when I failed to rinse well when using Bayer.

Sorry, hth.

OP
OP
Sick_man

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know. Are they "dead" or are the shells now empty (something ate them)

Did you use coral dip (Bayer) recently? I've had inverts get poisoned when I failed to rinse well when using Bayer.

Sorry, hth.
Nope, i have not dipped anything or added stuff into the tank for a while. Half of their body is hanging out the shell for most of them. I found some outside their shells dead on the sand. (it was not molt)

leighla wolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this happen once. It turned out one of the hermits was SUPER aggressive and went on rampage rounds where even though I provided a ton of different shells, when he’d run into another hermit, he’d rip them out of theirs to check out their shell and every empty shell he came across too... but he’d never change shells! :rolleyes: I ended up throwing him in the sump and suddenly no more dead hermits. Maybe sit and watch your tank and see if something similar is “bullying” them.

OP
OP
Sick_man

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this happen once. It turned out one of the hermits was SUPER aggressive and went on rampage rounds where even though I provided a ton of different shells, when he’d run into another hermit, he’d rip them out of theirs to check out their shell and every empty shell he came across too... but he’d never change shells! :rolleyes: I ended up throwing him in the sump and suddenly no more dead hermits. Maybe sit and watch your tank and see if something similar is “bullying” them.
yeah i noticed there was a big one trying to fight the other ones but the big one just died so idk

OP
OP
Sick_man

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The big one just revived itself. I saw part of his body out his shell and he was not moving earlier. idk how but hes eating algae off a snail right now.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What fish do you have in the tank ?
Also, what is your salinity reading and nitrate reading ?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
2 clown, 1 firefish, 1 gramma,
salinity 1.025
nitrate 10
Nitrate up a little. Any stray voltage ?
The fish obviously cant tahe down hermits.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is that they may have starved. Do you let food drop to the bottom for them? I turn my powerheads off when I feed so the hermits all can find something.

OP
OP
Sick_man

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate up a little. Any stray voltage ?
The fish obviously cant tahe down hermits.
tbh i dont know what that is but the only things plugged into the tank are a canister filter, hang on back filter, heater, and light.

OP
OP
Sick_man

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is that they may have starved. Do you let food drop to the bottom for them? I turn my powerheads off when I feed so the hermits all can find something.
Ive been feeding flakes instead of the sinking pellets. The clownfish are aggressive when they see pellets and nobody else has a chance to eat but with the flakes it is more dispersed. You may be right about them starving.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been feeding flakes instead of the sinking pellets. The clownfish are aggressive when they see pellets and nobody else has a chance to eat but with the flakes it is more dispersed. You may be right about them starving.
Maybe feed flakes and pellets at the same time and let some of the pellets drop to the bottom. Or you can buy a couple small clams at the grocery and freeze them. Drop a piece of frozen clam in every few days.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back