hermodice carunculata aka "Bearded Fireworm"

TDEcoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found several of these in my Florida live rock from KP Aquatics. Are there any verified reports of them feeding on healthy coral other than gorgonians? I'm wondering if I need to go scorched earth on these things, or if I'm fine as long as I don't add any gorgs to the tank. Sounds like a coral banded shrimp or arrow crab would be my best bet for natural control of them?

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You sure they are and not just normal bristle worms? There are lots of different bristle worms that look similar too..

They are not very common in the hobby but are possible.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found several of these in my Florida live rock from KP Aquatics. Are there any verified reports of them feeding on healthy coral other than gorgonians? I'm wondering if I need to go scorched earth on these things, or if I'm fine as long as I don't add any gorgs to the tank. Sounds like a coral banded shrimp or arrow crab would be my best bet for natural control of them?
TBH I hardly tolerate the run-o-mill bristle worm and those are supposedly good. Anything higher on the list, I’d go nuclear, but thats just me. I won’t argue other opinions

OP
OP
TDEcoral

TDEcoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sure they are and not just normal bristle worms? There are lots of different bristle worms that look similar too..

They are not very common in the hobby but are possible.

I'm quite sure.

20201113_110511.jpg

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i had the same guy in my KP rock. I don’t think it’s a fireworm though. I had help from @vetteguy53081 who can weigh in also

that said, i took him out because I wasn‘t sure he’s reef safe anyway.

here is my thread on it

Anihiel1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same worms from the same place, and i do have gorgonians. 3 or 4 very large worms, they were in there a year before i accidentally found them. Honestly they haven't bothered anything in my tank, they do run around at night looking for food, but they've been right next to other tank mates with no issues. Once i did catch one of the smaller ones munching on the bottom of a purple feather, but only as high as he could stretch (not very far) and it didn't bother the coral (higher/polyps) at all. Extra CUC i guess

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not expert, but that look very Firewormish to me. Regardless, it definitely can’t harm anything if its dead :D
Edit add: That thing would look great as a paper weight encased in acrylic. :cool:

OP
OP
TDEcoral

TDEcoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same worms from the same place, and i do have gorgonians. 3 or 4 very large worms, they were in there a year before i accidentally found them. Honestly they haven't bothered anything in my tank, they do run around at night looking for food, but they've been right next to other tank mates with no issues. Once i did catch one of the smaller ones munching on the bottom of a purple feather, but only as high as he could stretch (not very far) and it didn't bother the coral (higher/polyps) at all. Extra CUC i guess

That's interesting, thanks for the info. I'll probably still try to get rid of them out of an abundance of caution.

OP
OP
TDEcoral

TDEcoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had the same guy in my KP rock. I don’t think it’s a fireworm though. I had help from @vetteguy53081 who can weigh in also

that said, i took him out because I wasn‘t sure he’s reef safe anyway.

here is my thread on it

Yours looks more like Eurythoe complanata.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 21.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back