Hey everybody!

Big Bosha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New reefer here, name is Joshua Carvalho. I just wanted to introduce myself to the forums, and let everyone know that I am so grateful for an outlet like this. I spent alot of my childhood lonely, and poured a shipping container full of passion into my hobbies. I'm an avid gun collector, automotive enthusiast (mostly cadillacs), pc builder, offroad powersports enthusiast, and most importantly, an obsessive aquarian! I am hopeful I will be able to progress as a reef keeper, as well as reach out to and become a known member of the community! My passion for the hobby started just 3 years ago with keeping central american cichlids. Eventually I moved on to planted tanks. I got all of the closest people in my life into fishkeeping/aquarium keeping. It took a while, but i turned my 17 y/o brother into a passionate enthusiast. However, he went a different direction. He wanted a reef. I always thought reefkeeping was too expensive, and too complex for me to understand and have success at. He collected for an entire year, a bashes refugium sump. Current marine orbit lighting, powerheads, return pump, protein skimmer, everything. Well, long story short, my birthday this year popped up, I was lonely with some money, and just wanted to do something new. I dont drink, I dont party, I stopped smoking for school, which I'm enrolled in to be an engineer. I had an empty 37 gallon tank (along with a 75, 55, several 20's and 10's), and brought up the idea of doing a planted aquarium in it. My brother swiftly offered some of his extra supplies. He gave me a protein skimmer, light, live rock, live sand, and powerhead. The bugger had me. I was going to set up a fish only saltwater tank, with maybe a single anemone. I was going to use just a hob aquaclear, and leave the protein skimmer untouched. I had the aquarium set up, and went to buy my first fish. Two ocellaris mocha clownfish. Now dubbed chestnut and walnut. While I ventured out to purchase the fish, I came across a nice selection of coral frags and colonies at my local lfs. My eyes became bigger than my stomach. My heart raced. I realized all of these years of keeping freshwater, all of the effort to avoid this, I'm a reefer through and through. This is the part of the hobby that is for me. I love mechanical meticulous things, and this was just that. The reward is above almost anything else. So it began. Soon after I upgraded my light. Viparspectra black box. Eventually collecting these items:

Eshopps 800gph overflow box
Hygger 1000gph return pump w/controller
Schedule 40 pvc with joints and ball valves
Fugeray finnex refugium light
15 gallon tank retrofitted w/ 20 gal long baffle kit (to fit the aluminum stand for the display)
Filter sock acrylic mount
Clean chaeto
Dosing materials along with red sea amino acids and both api sw test kits
The list goes on with smaller things.

In the mail now:

Ai nero 3 powerhead
Two ai prime16hd's with mounting brackets
Skimz chaeto reactor
Kalkwasser stirrer
Tunze nano ato system
Bulk reef supply pharma products
Test kits for magnesium
C02 scrubber
Dosing pump for magnesium dosing
algae barn apocalypse pods (32oz 6000 pods)
And a slew of other items.

The real kicker? My fiance is hooked. We are planning on buying a waterbox reef 180.5 system with 3 ai hydra 32hd's. And so that journey will begin shortly. I'm so happy I found this hobby, and I'm glad to be a part of this forum. Thanks for welcoming me, happy reefing everybody!

16068647986274019462504661643007.jpg 1606864865810463540606187093310.jpg 16068649080226321598552487667918.jpg 16068649351292605545564787348045.jpg 16068649617025094160651739590888.jpg

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New reefer here, name is Joshua Carvalho. I just wanted to introduce myself to the forums, and let everyone know that I am so grateful for an outlet like this. I spent alot of my childhood lonely, and poured a shipping container full of passion into my hobbies. I'm an avid gun collector, automotive enthusiast (mostly cadillacs), pc builder, offroad powersports enthusiast, and most importantly, an obsessive aquarian! I am hopeful I will be able to progress as a reef keeper, as well as reach out to and become a known member of the community! My passion for the hobby started just 3 years ago with keeping central american cichlids. Eventually I moved on to planted tanks. I got all of the closest people in my life into fishkeeping/aquarium keeping. It took a while, but i turned my 17 y/o brother into a passionate enthusiast. However, he went a different direction. He wanted a reef. I always thought reefkeeping was too expensive, and too complex for me to understand and have success at. He collected for an entire year, a bashes refugium sump. Current marine orbit lighting, powerheads, return pump, protein skimmer, everything. Well, long story short, my birthday this year popped up, I was lonely with some money, and just wanted to do something new. I dont drink, I dont party, I stopped smoking for school, which I'm enrolled in to be an engineer. I had an empty 37 gallon tank (along with a 75, 55, several 20's and 10's), and brought up the idea of doing a planted aquarium in it. My brother swiftly offered some of his extra supplies. He gave me a protein skimmer, light, live rock, live sand, and powerhead. The bugger had me. I was going to set up a fish only saltwater tank, with maybe a single anemone. I was going to use just a hob aquaclear, and leave the protein skimmer untouched. I had the aquarium set up, and went to buy my first fish. Two ocellaris mocha clownfish. Now dubbed chestnut and walnut. While I ventured out to purchase the fish, I came across a nice selection of coral frags and colonies at my local lfs. My eyes became bigger than my stomach. My heart raced. I realized all of these years of keeping freshwater, all of the effort to avoid this, I'm a reefer through and through. This is the part of the hobby that is for me. I love mechanical meticulous things, and this was just that. The reward is above almost anything else. So it began. Soon after I upgraded my light. Viparspectra black box. Eventually collecting these items:

Eshopps 800gph overflow box
Hygger 1000gph return pump w/controller
Schedule 40 pvc with joints and ball valves
Fugeray finnex refugium light
15 gallon tank retrofitted w/ 20 gal long baffle kit (to fit the aluminum stand for the display)
Filter sock acrylic mount
Clean chaeto
Dosing materials along with red sea amino acids and both api sw test kits
The list goes on with smaller things.

In the mail now:

Ai nero 3 powerhead
Two ai prime16hd's with mounting brackets
Skimz chaeto reactor
Kalkwasser stirrer
Tunze nano ato system
Bulk reef supply pharma products
Test kits for magnesium
C02 scrubber
Dosing pump for magnesium dosing
algae barn apocalypse pods (32oz 6000 pods)
And a slew of other items.

The real kicker? My fiance is hooked. We are planning on buying a waterbox reef 180.5 system with 3 ai hydra 32hd's. And so that journey will begin shortly. I'm so happy I found this hobby, and I'm glad to be a part of this forum. Thanks for welcoming me, happy reefing everybody!

16068647986274019462504661643007.jpg 1606864865810463540606187093310.jpg 16068649080226321598552487667918.jpg 16068649351292605545564787348045.jpg 16068649617025094160651739590888.jpg
Hello and welcome to the channel.

Back