Hey fellow reefers!

BillysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to introduce myself to this awesome Reef2Reef community! I started my reefing journey back in August 2021, and it's been quite a ride since then. There have been ups and downs, but I'm stoked to say that my coral are finally thriving!

I took the plunge and started with a 125g tank cause everyone kept saying "go big or go home". Drilling holes in the back of the tank was super sketchy, not gonna lie, but I managed to pull it off. I did my own plumbing to a 40-gallon sump. I'm pretty proud of how it turned out, but I'm always looking for ways to optimize my setup. I am still battling algae and dinos. One day, I hope to switch to an automatic filter sock roller – fingers crossed!

I'm super excited to join a community of like-minded people and learn from all you experienced reefers out there. Here's a video of my current set up. I came into the hobby as a fish lover and I got sucked into all the coral madness!

- Billy

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.MOV
    46.2 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
welcome33.gif

Buckster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Billy and Welcome to R2R! I had a major hair algae issue and then decided to eradicate it by manual removal. I did that for almost two months and my chaeto started thriving and the tangs took over. No hair algae present today. Hope you can get through your algae and Dinos!

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to introduce myself to this awesome Reef2Reef community! I started my reefing journey back in August 2021, and it's been quite a ride since then. There have been ups and downs, but I'm stoked to say that my coral are finally thriving!

I took the plunge and started with a 125g tank cause everyone kept saying "go big or go home". Drilling holes in the back of the tank was super sketchy, not gonna lie, but I managed to pull it off. I did my own plumbing to a 40-gallon sump. I'm pretty proud of how it turned out, but I'm always looking for ways to optimize my setup. I am still battling algae and dinos. One day, I hope to switch to an automatic filter sock roller – fingers crossed!

I'm super excited to join a community of like-minded people and learn from all you experienced reefers out there. Here's a video of my current set up. I came into the hobby as a fish lover and I got sucked into all the coral madness!

- Billy
Welcome billy,
Glad to have you here, share your experiences.
Drilling is a big accomplishment.
Great size tank and sump.
Coral madness is no laughing matter!

OP
OP
BillysReef

BillysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Billy and Welcome to R2R! I had a major hair algae issue and then decided to eradicate it by manual removal. I did that for almost two months and my chaeto started thriving and the tangs took over. No hair algae present today. Hope you can get through your algae and Dinos!
Thank you. Yeah I should do some manual removal. I just stir up the sand bed with a 3 foot scraper when i get sick of it. I stirred up my sandbed before I took this video lol

OP
OP
BillysReef

BillysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bill welcome to the Reef, I have to ask how is your Powder Blue's temperament and great job on the tank!
Pretty good. It does chase the Desjardini tang around some but nothing too aggressive. The Desjardini is also much bigger so that helps. The first couple weeks the powder and clown fish would kinda fight but I haven’t seen that since.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

- Billy

Welcome!!
As someone with a similar tank I think I can safely say that drilling holes was the right choice and I regret not doing the same. I was just too scared of messing up. Glad you’re braver than me!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back