hey h@rry fighting cyano

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe cyano is caused by excess nutrients, probably from overfeeding. The excess nutrients combined with a good source of light produce cyano. The short answer to the problem is to correct the source of excess nutrients. If it is an obvious case of overfeeding that would be simple. More often though, this is a condition that has built up over a period of time and it seems to me that the excess nutrients have infiltrated the rock and sand bed so a shutdown of feeding does no immediate good. Cyano will not grow without the energy from a good souce of light. What has worked for me is a three day blackout. Turn off all the lights for three days. On the 4th day turn the actinics on. On the 5th day go back to your normal lighting regime. Quite often you will need to wait about 10 days and repeat this procedure. This has been quite effective for me.

Many people will tell you that more flow will cure cyano. I don't buy this. Many times when I have had a cyano outbreak it was well established in the overflow box. This is the highest flow area of the tank.

I think this is just another example of people repeating what they have heard from the "experts". But again, it's Saturday night and I have been taking my medication for the evening so what do I know?

Good luck Beelzebub!

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I spoke too soon.

Seems that he did not clean up the cyano after the blackout. So I assumed the cyano had died off.

But the tank is red as ever. So perhaps they did not have cyano to begin with.

Just repeating the experts.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 61 46.6%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back