Hey I was looking for some easy to keep macro algae

Knight420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done some research and have found a few I'm interested in getting. I will have tangs and other algae eaters to keep nuisance algae at bay. I don't mind the fish eating the algae as long as they don't kill it. I thought of a in display refugium. I picked out a breeder tank that has holes. I thought I could put the algae inside. When it grows out of the holes the fish will eat it, but the majority of the algae will be safe in the breeder tank.

Here are some algae I thought was interesting.

Mermaid Fan
Christmas Tree (pine cone algae)
Short Codium
Caulerpa Mexicana
Dragons breath
Ulva Sea Lettuce
Blue Hypnea
Red and Green Gracilaria
Chondria Coerulescens Blue Algae

I'm looking for any advice or suggestions.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have:
Brotycladia
Blue hypnea
Pom pom gracilaria
Pencil cap
Bottle brush
Mermaid fan (RIP)
Galaxaura
Codium (long)

Broty seems pretty robust, grew back from a nub after snails snapped branches off.

Haven't gotten the hang of blue hypnea yet--it is a clump, kind of like chaeto, but finer, so hard to pin down on the rockwork.

Pom pom is growing fast in my Evo but slow in my IM 10g (snails keep breaking off branches).

Pencil cap OK, not my favorite. Likewise with bottle brush although it is growing well.

Mermaid fan never got off to a good start.

Galaxaura is pretty awesome, but haven't seen it growing too fast.

Codium is a muted macro, not a show stealer, but growing really well. Wish it was the short variety.

Not sure how any of these would hold up against tangs, except the bottle brush and pencil cap (and likely mermaid fan).

OP
OP
Knight420

Knight420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have:
Brotycladia
Blue hypnea
Pom pom gracilaria
Pencil cap
Bottle brush
Mermaid fan (RIP)
Galaxaura
Codium (long)

Broty seems pretty robust, grew back from a nub after snails snapped branches off.

Haven't gotten the hang of blue hypnea yet--it is a clump, kind of like chaeto, but finer, so hard to pin down on the rockwork.

Pom pom is growing fast in my Evo but slow in my IM 10g (snails keep breaking off branches).

Pencil cap OK, not my favorite. Likewise with bottle brush although it is growing well.

Mermaid fan never got off to a good start.

Galaxaura is pretty awesome, but haven't seen it growing too fast.

Codium is a muted macro, not a show stealer, but growing really well. Wish it was the short variety.

Not sure how any of these would hold up against tangs, except the bottle brush and pencil cap (and likely mermaid fan).
I heard blue Hypnea is a really slow grower that likes a lot of light. Mermaid Fan needs a good supply of calcium to thrive I think 450ppm.

As for the ones that fish will eat is why I thought in display refugium and just let it grow wild out the holes. Should work like a feeding station. Especially with Gracilaria.

I really want dragons breath but I don't want to hide it like some of the others in a refugium. Do you know how fast it grows? I'm hoping it will grow fast enough to thrive even with tangs.

You mentioned Galaxaura I have never heard of it. I'm definitely going to look it up now. :)

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard blue Hypnea is a really slow grower that likes a lot of light. Mermaid Fan needs a good supply of calcium to thrive I think 450ppm.

As for the ones that fish will eat is why I thought in display refugium and just let it grow wild out the holes. Should work like a feeding station. Especially with Gracilaria.

I really want dragons breath but I don't want to hide it like some of the others in a refugium. Do you know how fast it grows? I'm hoping it will grow fast enough to thrive even with tangs.

You mentioned Galaxaura I have never heard of it. I'm definitely going to look it up now. :)

Could you do a clear acrylic partition in your display tank with holes so that the macro side looks really nice but feeds the tangs on the other side as it grows out?

OP
OP
Knight420

Knight420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I was meaning when I mentioned breeder box.

POPETPOP Fish Breeding Box-Isolation Box Breeder Hatchery Incubator Aquarium Fish Breeding Boxes Divider Hatching Boxes Accessory for Small Baby Fishes Shrimp Clownfish Guppy-Small Suction Cup

This isn't the exact one I chose. The one I chose has bigger holes and is wider

OP
OP
Knight420

Knight420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you do a clear acrylic partition in your display tank with holes so that the macro side looks really nice but feeds the tangs on the other side as it grows out?
I can't believe I forget thick branching Coraline algae should be on my list

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back