Hey I'm looking for some advice

Knight420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I'm starting a 140 gallon tank. I'm currently on the research part. I'm looking for some hardy beginner corals. So far my picks are Clove, Pipe organ, Zoa, GSP, Florida recordia, and sympodium.

Does anyone have any advice for beginner corals? Something that won't sting other corals.

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I'm starting a 140 gallon tank. I'm currently on the research part. I'm looking for some hardy beginner corals. So far my picks are Clove, Pipe organ, Zoa, GSP, Florida recordia, and sympodium.

Does anyone have any advice for beginner corals? Something that won't sting other corals.
I started with mushrooms Duncan’s and toadstools those where pretty hardy.

OP
OP
Knight420

Knight420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with mushrooms Duncan’s and toadstools those where pretty hardy.
Isn't a harry mushroom part of the toadstool? I found one I really like that I believe is a harry mushroom. Isn't Duncan's LPS? Do they sting? I heard a lot of LPS tend to have sweeper tentacles.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found Pipe Organs so darn delicate; they would always snap/break on me before they ever really grew into anything substantial. I tried several times and gave up on them.

CryptoNautical

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good starters. Be cautious you have some weeds in your list such as "Green" clove polyps, GSP and sympodium (especially the purple variety)

If you are okay with that then alright, but what I've notice with those is that even if they don't sting the other coral they will smother them and kill them that way. All coral are relatively aggressive just some have different strategies.

Isn't a harry mushroom part of the toadstool? I found one I really like that I believe is a harry mushroom. Isn't Duncan's LPS? Do they sting? I heard a lot of LPS tend to have sweeper tentacles.

Duncans can't sting and can grow quite large if fed or given enough time, another LPS that has this same trait is Blasto corals. Those 2 personally are my safest go to for non aggressive corals

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Duncan’s do not have sweepers they will be just fine and a hairy mushroom is just a mushroom a toadstool is a softie that’s pretty easy to keep as well

OP
OP
Knight420

Knight420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Duncan’s do not have sweepers they will be just fine and a hairy mushroom is just a mushroom a toadstool is a softie that’s pretty easy to keep as well
Ok cool thanks. Isn't a harry mushroom an alternative to an anemone to host clown fish?

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok cool thanks. Isn't a harry mushroom an alternative to an anemone to host clown fish?
Well if a clown wants to it will there’s really no telling. I personally haven’t seen a clown host to one but who knows. I have seen them host to torches and hammers and even duncan corals but they either will or won’t there’s really no telling.

OP
OP
Knight420

Knight420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good starters. Be cautious you have some weeds in your list such as "Green" clove polyps, GSP and sympodium (especially the purple variety)

If you are okay with that then alright, but what I've notice with those is that even if they don't sting the other coral they will smother them and kill them that way. All coral are relatively aggressive just some have different strategies.

Duncans can't sting and can grow quite large if fed or given enough time, another LPS that has this same trait is Blasto corals. Those 2 personally are my safest go to for non aggressive corals
I was aware of GSP being a weed. I thought Clove and Sympodium was some of the slower growing. I was going to have my GSP on an island. That way it would cover the single rock instead of taking the whole tank over.

OP
OP
Knight420

Knight420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found Pipe Organs so darn delicate; they would always snap/break on me before they ever really grew into anything substantial. I tried several times and gave up on them.
I will be very careful. I'm getting a Neptune Apex dream system. I want to fully automate this. I also do a lot of research on anything before I jump into it.

Once I get the tank started I do plan to post pics and vids of the tank. I'm even getting a digital microscope to post pics of my rotifer, copepods, and brine shrimp aquaculture.

CryptoNautical

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was aware of GSP being a weed. I thought Clove and Sympodium was some of the slower growing. I was going to have my GSP on an island. That way it would cover the single rock instead of taking the whole tank over.
Some of the cloves and sympodium genus are slow growers while others can reach plague proportions quickly. You'd just need to do your research into the specific type your getting.

Good choice on the island of GSP. Still need to keep a eye out though. When GSP covers a whole surface they'll grow arms that reach out trying to grow to another rock. But thats easy to maintain, just a monthly check would be okay at that point. You just have to be vigilant.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back