Hi all!

NeiDan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm from Manchester. Once upon a time I kept a series of small species tanks (mostly mantis shrimp with some softies). I haven't had any aquariums in years and I feel like it might be time to get back into the hobby, so I thought I'd introduce myself to you fine folk. I'm 25, a massage therapist and a student at CCC. I'm currently planning another mantis shrimp/soft coral tank, most likely a Peacock mantis in a 25-30 gallon. However, I am a student so it's probably going to be a few months before I can even think about buying a tank. In the meantime though, I'm considering starting a small brackishwater nano-tank for Opae Ula http://www.petshrimp.com/hawaiianredshrimp.php

So on that note I was wondering if anybody in the area might be able to provide some seeding material for a brackishwater tank? Some gravel, sand, chaetomorpha, or whatever. I know it's a longshot, but I figured I might as well throw it out there :)

Good to meet you all, and I hope to join you all in the saltwater world very soon!

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reef2reef!

Vaiodude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. Since you are right in Manchester you should check out the CTARS meeting this Sunday at 5pm at the Lutz Children's museum.

OP
OP
NeiDan

NeiDan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I might just go tomorrow Valodude, it sounds fun.

So I stopped by Aquatic Wildlife today and got a small .75 gallon and they were kind enough to hook me up with some brackish water and gravel from their tanks, so I should be all setup and ready to go soon. Will post pictures when it's ready!

Vaiodude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I might just go tomorrow Valodude, it sounds fun.

So I stopped by Aquatic Wildlife today and got a small .75 gallon and they were kind enough to hook me up with some brackish water and gravel from their tanks, so I should be all setup and ready to go soon. Will post pictures when it's ready!

That's awesome! Hope you have a chance to stop by!!

Vaiodude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That's awesome! Hope you have a chance to stop by!!

OP
OP
NeiDan

NeiDan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang I just realized that I don't get off work until 6. I imagine the meeting will be over by the time I get back to Manchester

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome home! You'll love it here!

OP
OP
NeiDan

NeiDan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it's time for an update! Figured you might be interested to see where the tank is at now. The shrimp arrived about 4 days ago and they're doing well. No deaths or anything. Unfortunately I'm starting to read a small amount of ammonia (~.25 ppm) which I'm monitoring closely and have done some ~30% water changes. I guess the tank wasn't cycled enough quite yet, but the small size makes water changes easy to do. The shrimp are fairly active and colorful, and I've had at least 1 molt already! There's also some brackish chaeto in the back. I also added some java moss since I took this picture. I've heard some reports that Java moss does well in brackish water and some that it dies, so I'm keeping a close eye for any sign of decay.
OdHg8oa.jpg

jhRb4AF.jpg

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 29 36.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back