Hi all!

  • Thread starter Thread starter NeiDan
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

NeiDan

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 15, 2016
Messages
79
Reaction score
44
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm from Manchester. Once upon a time I kept a series of small species tanks (mostly mantis shrimp with some softies). I haven't had any aquariums in years and I feel like it might be time to get back into the hobby, so I thought I'd introduce myself to you fine folk. I'm 25, a massage therapist and a student at CCC. I'm currently planning another mantis shrimp/soft coral tank, most likely a Peacock mantis in a 25-30 gallon. However, I am a student so it's probably going to be a few months before I can even think about buying a tank. In the meantime though, I'm considering starting a small brackishwater nano-tank for Opae Ula http://www.petshrimp.com/hawaiianredshrimp.php

So on that note I was wondering if anybody in the area might be able to provide some seeding material for a brackishwater tank? Some gravel, sand, chaetomorpha, or whatever. I know it's a longshot, but I figured I might as well throw it out there :)

Good to meet you all, and I hope to join you all in the saltwater world very soon!
 
Welcome to reef2reef!
 
Welcome to R2R. Since you are right in Manchester you should check out the CTARS meeting this Sunday at 5pm at the Lutz Children's museum.
 
Welcome to R2R. Keep us posted on your build.
 
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I might just go tomorrow Valodude, it sounds fun.

So I stopped by Aquatic Wildlife today and got a small .75 gallon and they were kind enough to hook me up with some brackish water and gravel from their tanks, so I should be all setup and ready to go soon. Will post pictures when it's ready!
 
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I might just go tomorrow Valodude, it sounds fun.

So I stopped by Aquatic Wildlife today and got a small .75 gallon and they were kind enough to hook me up with some brackish water and gravel from their tanks, so I should be all setup and ready to go soon. Will post pictures when it's ready!

That's awesome! Hope you have a chance to stop by!!
 
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I might just go tomorrow Valodude, it sounds fun.

So I stopped by Aquatic Wildlife today and got a small .75 gallon and they were kind enough to hook me up with some brackish water and gravel from their tanks, so I should be all setup and ready to go soon. Will post pictures when it's ready!

That's awesome! Hope you have a chance to stop by!!
 
Dang I just realized that I don't get off work until 6. I imagine the meeting will be over by the time I get back to Manchester
 
Welcome home! You'll love it here!
 
So it's time for an update! Figured you might be interested to see where the tank is at now. The shrimp arrived about 4 days ago and they're doing well. No deaths or anything. Unfortunately I'm starting to read a small amount of ammonia (~.25 ppm) which I'm monitoring closely and have done some ~30% water changes. I guess the tank wasn't cycled enough quite yet, but the small size makes water changes easy to do. The shrimp are fairly active and colorful, and I've had at least 1 molt already! There's also some brackish chaeto in the back. I also added some java moss since I took this picture. I've heard some reports that Java moss does well in brackish water and some that it dies, so I'm keeping a close eye for any sign of decay.
OdHg8oa.jpg

jhRb4AF.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new