Hi and thoughts on a tank swap…

sllaursen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, we’ve had several saltwater aquariums over the years and always love them. Currently we have a 13.5 fluval that we’re fixing to move into the new 65 that we got a week ago. We’ve put new live sand in, about 15 pounds of cycled live rock and another 30 pounds of dry rock/life rock. I also took the filter media from the fluval and out in the sump.
We started the Dr. Tim’s fishless cycle like we used in the little tank but then my husband changed the sponge filter out of the sump ‍♀️ Wondering if it really matters or if I can just move everything from the 13.5 into the 65 now with a water change. Ammonia is at about 1, nitrite is less than 1 but not quite 0. Nitrates are at 1.2. If the little tank can support the current bioload, wouldn’t it be fine in the big tank. Thoughts and thanks for any advice?!

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
f4e447b9-5e67-4b02-af0d-2f28e9db692c.gif

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi everyone, we’ve had several saltwater aquariums over the years and always love them. Currently we have a 13.5 fluval that we’re fixing to move into the new 65 that we got a week ago. We’ve put new live sand in, about 15 pounds of cycled live rock and another 30 pounds of dry rock/life rock. I also took the filter media from the fluval and out in the sump.
We started the Dr. Tim’s fishless cycle like we used in the little tank but then my husband changed the sponge filter out of the sump ‍♀️ Wondering if it really matters or if I can just move everything from the 13.5 into the 65 now with a water change. Ammonia is at about 1, nitrite is less than 1 but not quite 0. Nitrates are at 1.2. If the little tank can support the current bioload, wouldn’t it be fine in the big tank. Thoughts and thanks for any advice?!
My recommendation. Continue running the 13.5 and setup the 65g and allow to seed and cycle with denitrifying bacteria such as Micro Bacter XLM. Then slowly add live rock from EVO to the 65 after 2-3 weeks monitoring the ammonia and nitrate in the 65g

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait a month. I always hated the “wait until ammonia reads zero and throw everything in” methodology. I’ve always found it better to wait one or even two months before adding livestock even AFTER reading zero ppm ammonia with a test kit. There is a maturation process and I firmly believe one week doesn’t cover everything that happens biome-wise when a tank is first set up no matter what the test kit bean counters say. Adding livestock to a freshly set up tank likely causes ammonia spikes as the newly established bio filter grows to cover whatever was used to cycle the tank and not a load of new fish. That denitrification capability strengthens over time and IMO one week is just too soon.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 44 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back