Hi Everyone, SO excited to dive in!!!!!!!!!

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! You have come to the right place for tips, advice, and valuable sources of experienced knowledge.
giphy.gif

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i am very impulsive ,would of done by now just kidding lol

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
take your time find a nice set up at a nice price

Last edited:

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
end of month people move don't want to deal with moving tanks

Rudzbrewski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Lisa! I am new to reefing as well and still in the planning stages of my first tank. Watching the videos from Bulk Reef Supply on YouTube really helped me sort out a great deal of my confusion on basic concepts. Their 5 minute guide videos and their 52 weeks of reefing at least helped me understand what people were talking about and the concepts behind different components. I am still learning to figure out my grand plan before starting, but those were great places to help me get started on my understanding.

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! My advise is to think about your final goal. What do you envision? I’m a big fan of finding good clean used equipment. An AIO is a great way to go. Some tips I’ve learned In thirty years;

1. A refractometer is mandatory.
2. Get a ro/di and a brute can with a float shutoff installed.
3. Buy quality once and it will save money over time.
4. An ATO is worth every penny.
5. Take your time. Find some members tanks you like and make a plan for your tank.
6. Have fun. Go to frag swaps. Meet some reef people.

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may add if your serious about getting into this , a 20L system is very afforadble and will give you all the space you need to start out. When you get more into it, you can always keep the 20l as a quaratine tank ( which you will need as you progress) my best advice is to stage it, dont go for the super expensive stuff , it wont make you a better reefer , knowledge and patience will. A 20l with a 100-200 gph HOB filter and a powerhead 480gph , a 50w heater, sand and rocks mix some salt and a good black box will cost you less than alot of people spend on 1 frag , everybody I know that started with this setup still has it setup along with their larger tank systems. If you dont like it your not out of tons of money , if you do its the most cost effective way to get reefing , and you could easily add any devices to that style tank.

OP
OP
LisaAhmad

LisaAhmad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I’ve been binge reading and need a break to summarize and simplify, I think this is going to be a long list....:D
1. Use RODI to reduce chance of introducing nitrates, phosphates, random organics and bad trace elements.
2. Link RODI production with ATO unit / mixing station to deal with 2 - 5% (?) per week evaporation loss.
3. Base mixing station size on the % of water changes conducted. (100gal system volume, 30 gal mixed saltwater) Do 'continuous' AWC. NO dang BUCKETS!!!!!!!!!!!! Hoorayyyyyyyyyyyy
4. Slow rock cycle, in tank, dry rock, 2-4 months, zero / minimal light to reduce algae / bacteria blooms. Nothing in until stable. No sand.
5. Roller mat or Filter socks to catch large stuff. Protein Skimmer for the small stuff, algae reactor for nitrate and phosphate export. Flow in tank and 'flow' via return pump.
6. During setup install and adjust aquarium computer (APEX / GHL), monitor parameters until stable.

Sooooooo that might keep me busy for a few months. :oops:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%

Back