V

vissen319

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome from Bay Area!

40 gallons is plenty :) bigger is nice because there's more space and your fish options are better, but I've got a system about this size and if you're interested in corals, it's plenty large.

Bay Area often means space restriction, and while I'm not sure what all is necessary for fresh water, I can tell you that water changes on a 40 gallon system is plenty enough to deal with if you have limited space.
Thank you! You are right..space is a concern here . So, unfortunately i cannot get a bigger fish tank..Even the 40 gal is cutting it close to the size I can have at my place...

I spent some time looking at some threads on biocube 32 gal or so..They look very decent size. I am leaning towards getting an aquatop even though the biocube seems to have better reviews for the light.

OP
OP
V

vissen319

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bio cube is ok for a fish-only but if you want coral I would go with a 60 gallon. I started with a bio cube so I completely understand.
Alex,

Thanks for your insights! I intend to have 2-3 fish and perhaps crab or something. Nothing much more than that due to bioload.

OP
OP
V

vissen319

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All,

Thank you very much for the warm welcome! You all are a super friendly bunch! I am very much looking forward to having a salt water tank...and perhaps a reef tank at some stage (nothing better to have this at my place since I am an islander)..

I almost went to buy one today as I got a good deal from a local fish shop .Unfortunately work kept me busy and I ran out of time..Perhaps during the weekend..

nick0206

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to P2P!
I also have a 120 gallon freshwater tank + 50 gallon sump.
When I started this hobby, my finances were not very good either, so I decided for myself that it would be at a minimum cost.
My first reef was 17 gallon nano. I connected a pump for the flow (not strong), which I found at home. No filtration, No testing, just once a week 4 gallons of water changes.
4 T5 lamps ATI (2 blue and 2 white) DIY.
Fish and soft corals felt great. Xenia and the mushrooms covered everything, including the glass.
But, over time (after a year and a half) I wanted more, I really liked the LPS, but they did not survive in such a swamp, so I bought a 25-gallon tank, bought a skimmer, but it still didn't work out very well ..
I switched to natural sea water (from the Mediterranean), Chinese LED lamp, vodka method, balling system, tests.
SPS grew and colored like crazy. 120 watt light suspended 8 inches above water level above a 25 gallon tank ... don't even know how many par I had ...
But the LPS did not survive (high steam plus strong current).
Today I have a 70 gallon cube (including a sump) and a bunch of expensive top brand equipment. (Do not take anything from the Chinese).
These 70 gallons contain a huge amount of both SPS and LPS corals and 6 fish. There is no place left at rocks for the SPS, or at the bottom for the LPS.

Council.
This is a very addictive hobby, so the further you practice, the more tank you want. It is better to immediately take the equipment so that in the future you can use it in larger systems.

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the best possible platform on the web to get answers and meet people within this saltwater keeping hobby! No doubt a place where you can get lost in all kinds of different and insightful information!

Another great place to snag info about this hobby we all love is YouTube! I have a channel going that is basically just my journey in reefing! May have some helpful tips and tricks for ya! Let me know if you get a chance to check it out! Again, welcome to R2R!!

OP
OP
V

vissen319

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to P2P!
I also have a 120 gallon freshwater tank + 50 gallon sump.
When I started this hobby, my finances were not very good either, so I decided for myself that it would be at a minimum cost.
My first reef was 17 gallon nano. I connected a pump for the flow (not strong), which I found at home. No filtration, No testing, just once a week 4 gallons of water changes.
4 T5 lamps ATI (2 blue and 2 white) DIY.
Fish and soft corals felt great. Xenia and the mushrooms covered everything, including the glass.
But, over time (after a year and a half) I wanted more, I really liked the LPS, but they did not survive in such a swamp, so I bought a 25-gallon tank, bought a skimmer, but it still didn't work out very well ..
I switched to natural sea water (from the Mediterranean), Chinese LED lamp, vodka method, balling system, tests.
SPS grew and colored like crazy. 120 watt light suspended 8 inches above water level above a 25 gallon tank ... don't even know how many par I had ...
But the LPS did not survive (high steam plus strong current).
Today I have a 70 gallon cube (including a sump) and a bunch of expensive top brand equipment. (Do not take anything from the Chinese).
These 70 gallons contain a huge amount of both SPS and LPS corals and 6 fish. There is no place left at rocks for the SPS, or at the bottom for the LPS.

Council.
This is a very addictive hobby, so the further you practice, the more tank you want. It is better to immediately take the equipment so that in the future you can use it in larger systems.
I am with you on this. When I started with freshwater, I did not go all out with fancy equipment. I started out with a 10 gal with frequent water changes, then slowly upgraded the hardware until finally got a 55 gal tank. The 55 gal was way easier to keep since the water parameters do not change so fast.

I got a 40 gal cube over the weekend. Got a good deal at LFS. I just filled it up tonight. Will slowly learn from it!

OP
OP
V

vissen319

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the best possible platform on the web to get answers and meet people within this saltwater keeping hobby! No doubt a place where you can get lost in all kinds of different and insightful information!

Another great place to snag info about this hobby we all love is YouTube! I have a channel going that is basically just my journey in reefing! May have some helpful tips and tricks for ya! Let me know if you get a chance to check it out! Again, welcome to R2R!!

Thank you! I have already got some nice advice here.

Yes, YouTube is my togo for pretty much everything!...including YouTube TV :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back