Hi, new to saltwater here

jodindave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

My husband and I have decided to get a salt water tank. We had one many years ago with zero success. This time we are taking things slower and trying to learn more before we even get the tank. We are both a little (lot) overwhelmed at all the options and where to start. We thought we would start with a small, all in one tank and then realized that a bigger tank would probably be better for us. But the filtration systems, lighting and other options are all above us. We have decided that we need to figure out what size tank and what kind of filtration system will best suit our needs but WOW the choices!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and welcome .

it can be a little overwhelming at the start. .
Best to plan as much as you possibly can .

size : go as big as you can for the available size
Plan a spot and imagine your new setup there .
with as big as you can keep in mind the cost of equipment .

if you can go with a sump it does make things easier for maintenance and somewhere to house things such as skimmers , refugium , media reactors etc .

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Not sure what your budget is but it may be best to go with a water box, cade, or Red Sea so you get the tank, sump, and stand included. Go with as big as you can fit/afford the first time. I also recommend getting the best equipment that you can afford up from so you do not end up replacing it.

Good luck! Lots of help here

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Not sure what your budget is but it may be best to go with a water box, cade, or Red Sea so you get the tank, sump, and stand included. Go with as big as you can fit/afford the first time. I also recommend getting the best equipment that you can afford up from so you do not end up replacing it.

Good luck! Lots of help here
AlThough having the top of the line lighting , wave makers , skimmers probably makes things easier .
many have reported success with low end wave makers and pumps such as jeabo ,
DIY or home made light fixtures etc .

in addition to your suggestion doing research on everything purchased including equipment

That being said . It’s a expensive hobby providing the best possible to greatly increase the success will prove itself in the long run

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

My husband and I have decided to get a salt water tank. We had one many years ago with zero success. This time we are taking things slower and trying to learn more before we even get the tank. We are both a little (lot) overwhelmed at all the options and where to start. We thought we would start with a small, all in one tank and then realized that a bigger tank would probably be better for us. But the filtration systems, lighting and other options are all above us. We have decided that we need to figure out what size tank and what kind of filtration system will best suit our needs but WOW the choices!
Welcome....if you can afford to go a bit larger it IMO , allows any major swings to be mitigated somewhat..... enjoy the ride with all its bumps that will come, but the effort is worth it.

Back