Need help getting this right.

15856333203841883717589828494270.jpg

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like your cycling a tank. If so, it's normal to have high nitrite and high nitrate at the same time. The nitrite will drop and the nitrate will stay high till it drops. When that happens, you should be done cycling.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should i do a partial water change you think?

If your cycling, no. Let it finish. When there is no more nitrite, but only nitrate, you can do a water change.

OP
OP
Phillthy

Phillthy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The presence of nitrites will throw off the measurement of nitrates. Just food for thought.
Dont hold back homer. I was hoping you would drop some knowledge on me. I need all the help i can get. How does the presence of nitrites effect the measurement? Higher or lower readings? What test kit do you guys use? Also im winning a diatom battle but want to be sure so im looking into cleanup crews. Sea urchins ..cucumbers ? Best snails.. Where do you guys purchase online? What do you think would be best for my small setup? Thanks much for the input.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When your cycling a tank, the presence of nitrites will show as really high nitrates.

For nitrates I like to use Red Sea Pro, although I have used NYOS and salifert in the past. All of those are much more reliable then API for the low numbers we try and maintain in a reef tank.

Diatoms are a natural part of setting up a reef tank(part of whats refereed to the "uglies"), and typically burn themselves out once they use up all the available silicates in your new sand.

As far as CUC, I rely on ceriths, nessarious(sp?), turban, and banded trochus snails, as well as a few scarlet hermits.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
post full tank shot picture of the reef showing the free nitrite, I have a neat use for this thread if its what Im expecting based on typed clues above

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
post full tank shot picture of the reef showing the free nitrite, I have a neat use for this thread if its what Im expecting based on typed clues above
I know exactly where your going with this, and I would agree.

What @brandon429 is going to get at, Nitrites are not toxic in a reef like they are in FW. If you have 0 ammonia, and you can pass any ammonia in 24 hours, you can add a fish or 2(2 small).

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and also was curious how much life and bioload is already thriving in the tank. I liked your interference test idea to explain the reading so far before pics, if there's life in there already doing fine that really speaks a lot about cycle progress/completion

Sharir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should i do a partial water change you think?
Speaking from experience... It depends on whether you are cycling your tank with fish or doing a fish less cycle. If you are doing a fish - less cycle then just let the bacteria do it 's thing, the levels will come down as your biofilter matures(biofilter meaning bacterial population). If you're cycling with fish the do a large water change. This will slow down the process of cycling the tank but it will protect your fish from stress; ammonia burn and death. BTW: are you cycling your tank? I 'd love to hear about it.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you so much
nice to meet you
hey lets build one and post ! :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Phillthy

Phillthy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 168 62.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 25.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 70 25.9%
Back