High alk and nutrients

Renaissance corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i recently had a major issue with my euphylllia Coral. It had nearly died completely. When i tested my water i was at nearly 12 dkh. With nearly 0ppm phosphate and nitrate. I started dosing coral Amino and polyp booster daily along with my regular feeding. Now about 2 weeks later the coral has completely recovered and is growing rapidly (also started on a 4th head). My alk is the same. But my nitrates would normally be considered dangerously high as are my phosphates at over 3.0 ppm (maxed out test kit) does anyone know why its happy? Also all my other corals have exploded in growth.

Should i keep it this high or try and lower everything slowly?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without knowing what your typical nitrate and phosphate levels are, it's hard to speculate. Chances are that yes, at near zero nitrates and phosphates their was some nutrient starvation.

While not dismissing your test results, 3.0ppm for phosphates is very high - and I might suggest re-testing. What testing kit(s) are you using?

OP
OP
Renaissance corals

Renaissance corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without knowing what your typical nitrate and phosphate levels are, it's hard to speculate. Chances are that yes, at near zero nitrates and phosphates their was some nutrient starvation.

While not dismissing your test results, 3.0ppm for phosphates is very high - and I might suggest re-testing. What testing kit(s) are you using?
Tested multiple times. Using salifert test kit. I know that it's accurate because I use the same test with multiple tanks. I was trying to keep lower nutrients and it was stable until i started trying tested the alk.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested multiple times. Using salifert test kit. I know that it's accurate because I use the same test with multiple tanks. I was trying to keep lower nutrients and it was stable until i started trying tested the alk.
What are your nitrates now?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i recently had a major issue with my euphylllia Coral. It had nearly died completely. When i tested my water i was at nearly 12 dkh. With nearly 0ppm phosphate and nitrate. I started dosing coral Amino and polyp booster daily along with my regular feeding. Now about 2 weeks later the coral has completely recovered and is growing rapidly (also started on a 4th head). My alk is the same. But my nitrates would normally be considered dangerously high as are my phosphates at over 3.0 ppm (maxed out test kit) does anyone know why its happy? Also all my other corals have exploded in growth.

Should i keep it this high or try and lower everything slowly?

The usual coral problem with high alk and low nutrients is burnt tips, especially on montipora, apparently.

But undetectable nutrients can be a problem at any alk for several reasons and I'd look to raise the nutrients by dosing or feeding more.

OP
OP
Renaissance corals

Renaissance corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The usual coral problem with high alk and low nutrients is burnt tips, especially on montipora, apparently.

But undetectable nutrients can be a problem at any alk for several reasons and I'd look to raise the nutrients by dosing or feeding more.
Thats exactly what i did. I just didn't expect them to go this high and cause everything to thrive. Also its a zoa dominant frag tank with just the one lps

OP
OP
Renaissance corals

Renaissance corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not insanely high (I've sustained much higher, and my tank is probably in the 25-30ppm range right now). Phosphates of 3.0ppm is definitely too high (mine are typically in the 0.10-0.2ppm range).
My nitrates were up about 55-60 ppm. I noticed the nit/phos about 3 days ago and started lowering them. Today its at 30 and im gonna maintain there. Goal for phosphate is 1.5-2.0ppm. currently at 2.5ppm phosphate.
Ps i use phosphate-e to lower and maintain levels

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrates were up about 55-60 ppm. I noticed the nit/phos about 3 days ago and started lowering them. Today its at 30 and im gonna maintain there. Goal for phosphate is 1.5-2.0ppm. currently at 2.5ppm phosphate.
Ps i use phosphate-e to lower and maintain levels
I just tested mine and they were in the 30-35ppm range, but that's fairly typical for my tank.

OP
OP
Renaissance corals

Renaissance corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just tested mine and they were in the 30-35ppm range, but that's fairly typical for my tank.
Yeah I mean as long as the corals are growing and look right? I don't see a problem. I had just been wondering if there was a particular reason why everything was loving those super high parameters

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I mean as long as the corals are growing and look right? I don't see a problem. I had just been wondering if there was a particular reason why everything was loving those super high parameters
When I first got into saltwater high nitrates were akin to consorting with the devil, but I've found that things generally seem to do a lot better (at least for me, anyway) with higher levels.

OP
OP
Renaissance corals

Renaissance corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first got into saltwater high nitrates were akin to consorting with the devil, but I've found that things generally seem to do a lot better (at least for me, anyway) with higher levels.
Same. Crazy zoa growth too. Tripled the size of frags in a month. Like from 3 polyps 9+

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 54.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.5%
Back