HIGH alk - SOS

ReefJCB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I did a water change and tested my readings this last weekend and noticed my alk consumption had gone up so I increased the timer on my BRS dosing pumps. I did a typo in the APEX programming for the outlet and the dosing pump has been left on for 4.5 hours the last 3 days. My Alk is reading 18.2 right now up from about 8.5 when I tested Sunday.

I've got the water going for a water change right now and have turned off all dosing (and adjusted programing for later when I finally turn it back on).

I was reading that dosing white vinegar can help, but I don't want to go too fast so I dosed 5ml to start.

Corals are looking fine with no stress so far, any suggestions for making sure I don't shock them too much by lowering the alk too quickly.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop the vinegar. It does not do what you want. As soon as the vinegar is metabolized by bacteria, its right back where it started.

There are products to add (sodium bisulfate and muriatic acid) but they lower pH a lot and must be used very slowly.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes are a pretty easy way to get them down, just go slowly over the next week, using 5-10% water change to bring the levels back around normal and the corals can help pull out the rest

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back