High Alkalinity - Is that the Secret to More Colorful SPS?

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate dosing,

Calcium Nitrate
http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com/in...ShowItemStart=

Potassium Nitrate
http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com/in...ShowItemStart=

Stump remover from Lowes, called Spectracide.
At the time I had cyano in my fragtanks and had zero NO3.
I dosed enough to raise my NO3 to between 2 to 5ppm and after a week and a half or two, have noticeable improvement.
All cyano went away never to return.
I now can keep my tank at 2 to 5ppm NO3 w/o dosing so I have stopped.
The concept behind this is called the Redfield ratio.

Or the old school method, aerobic biological filtration without any anaerobic areas, you should be able to produce nitrate.
But this will depend on your methods of removing N&P too.

Good luck and let us know which ever way you went for the outcome of the results.

Merry Christmas.

This is correct.... I'm using spectracide stump remover (KNO3)

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting this! What sort of mixture of the stump remover did you use? And how much did you dose? I have a similar issue with the cyano.

Not sure how much I dosed as it been a while ago.
I used the stump remover solution only when I had Cyano.
But I believe I started with 2 small spoons (the reef chilli small spoons) on a gallon of saltwater for every 150 gallon total volume.
If not gone in a week increase with one more spoon on a total of three.
Just be careful with this as to much........................ well we all know what that leads to.
Nothing happens fast in this hobby, only tanks crashes for a fact.
If you think you're going slow on the process, slow down even more.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pete is there a thread how to use Stump remover.

I googled and found some information on it. I can't remember exactly how I mixed it up. I want to say I used about 3 tablespoons in one gallon of ro/di. I only had two doses about 40 milliliters of it to see results in my 40. In the past few months I may have dosed a pint all together. A little bit of the stuff goes a long ways.

alan.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Pete found it,..
I googled and found some information on it. I can't remember exactly how I mixed it up. I want to say I used about 3 tablespoons in one gallon of ro/di. I only had two doses about 40 milliliters of it to see results in my 40. In the past few months I may have dosed a pint all together. A little bit of the stuff goes a long ways.

TDTA1181

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have the same issue w/ my tank Alk 7.7-7.85, Cal 415-425, Nitrates I cannot detect, Phosphates I cannot detect. All using Salifert tests. I was initially shooting for a ULN sustem but have a deeper sandbed and know I'm realizing I'm prob not going to achieve the ULN system. Some of my frags get tissue recession on the btm. I also vodka dose for nitrates around 4ml/day, a low amount for 125g tank but I also have an alge scrubber. Thinking a/b lowering vodka amount to help increase nitrates, but would like to increase Alk to see if that would help w/ the issue. My question is how much can I increase the Alk per w/out registering an Alk spike & harming corals.

JFrar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is a good thread, i'm kinda floating in the same boat and have been wanting to raise nitrates & wondering about my alk levels also.

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did some research as well, using Spectracide (KNO3).

To create a 1M solution: 18 teaspoons (101 grams) mixed with 1 liter of RO/DI will have approximately 61mg NO3 per mL.

So 1 mL of this solution will raise nitrates of a 100 gallon (379 liters) tank by .16 ppm.

There is a calculator you can download called Chuck's Planted Aquarium Calculator.

TDTA1181

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also run Rowaphos in a reactor. I have 2 blue reef chromis, 1 midas blenny, lawnmower blenny, 1 anthias, 1 yellow watchman goby, and 1 redheaded fairy wrasse. I feed frozen Mysis 2x per day. Just cannot detect phosphate or nitrate, phosphate checked w/ hanna checker and Salifert and Nitrate checked w/ Salifert test. Probably clean the glass 2x per week so there's something in there, right??? Just thought I should cut bk the dosing of Vodka for nutrient issue. But would really like to bring the Alk up to around 9.5ish but don't know how much I can increase it each day w/out hurting corals. Any ideas???

nicodim55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep my Alk between 9-10 dkh but my Ca is at 760 no problem with Nitrates since I have lots of fish and feed heavily. Corals are happy, I'm happy:)

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just tested my Aquarium since some people were asking for the Parameters.

Temperature - 78
Salinity - 1.025
PH - 8.1
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0
Alkalinity - 7.9
Calcium - 445
Magnesium - 1455
Phosphate - 0.32

The Aquarium is a Standard 55 Gallon.

Lighting -
My Main Lights are a 4 Bulb T5-HO Fixture with ATI Bulbs (2 Blue Plus and 2 Coral Plus) I change the Bulbs every 6 Months.

Flow - Two Hydor Koralia 1500's

I do a weekly 15 Percent Water Change with Reef Crystals and RO Water.

I Dose AcroPower twice a week.

I have been dosing Reef Roids and Reef Chili for 6 Weeks Now too (Twice a Week).

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using to measure po4? .32 is crazy high.

I use a Hanna Checker to test Phosphate.

I know people think it is high but the crazy thing is it was much much higher and I had good color too.

My Phosphate at the time was at 1.17 (Almost 3 times as high as it is now).

Also, my Alkalinity was super high back then because I did 2 water changes a week - one of which was a 70 percent water change - and my SPS had great color back them with high phosphate and high alkalinity.

This is why I believe that raising my Alkalinity will give me better color (Because I had crazy high Alkalinity when doing my massive weekly water changes).

Now I do Small 15 Percent Weekly Water Changes and I do not have great color.

tonymission

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Higher alkalinity is typically associated with better growth but pale colors. Not sure I buy the concept completely but I love this stump remover idea. I need some nitrates :)

Stoneyman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your nitrates? I had 0 and the colors were pathetic. I bumped it up to a trace and what a difference it made.

Agree with the nitrates. Couldnt get above zero. Once i got it to 1-2, phosphate dissappeared and pe and colors exploded overnight

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with the nitrates. Couldnt get above zero. Once i got it to 1-2, phosphate dissappeared and pe and colors exploded overnight

How do you get it above Zero?

I have tried to power feed fish, dose Coral Food, etc. and it is always Zero.

Also, Why does higher Nitrate lower Phosphate?

Stoneyman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy Holmes Farleys article taught me. Kinda technical i couldnt offer you specifics without going back and reading it. Google it its great. Also the scientists at RedSea offer a good explanation. Theres a ratio of phos and nitrate that has been proposed to allow for the best environment for the reef.

I would add a few fish. Slowly. And increase feedings. Slowly. Nothing good happens fast is what they say right? After few weeks you will get a decent nitrate level. I aim for level between 1-2.

I hope im getting this right :). Not a teacher just a student!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 40.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 35.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back