High Chlorine on ICP

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got the results for my ICP test and my aquarium same is showing high chlorine. My RO sample showed 0ppm chlorine so the chlorine in the tank must be coming from something I'm dosing. I'm currently dosing Sodium hydroxide, BRS calcium chloride, coral power trace b, and occasionally (less than once a month when it's less than 400ppm) potassium chloride.

I have 2 questions:
1) How do I lower the chlorine levels? Should I just add some prime? Will that be sufficient?
2) How did the chlorine get in there? Is the additional KCl adding unbalanced chloride?

Screenshot_20220923-152249_ICP Analysis Water Test.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
it is not 'chlorine' (the bad chemical) they are measuring - it is 'Cl'-. *by definition - an ICP test measures the individual elements - to my understanding. It probably means that you need to dose differently - But - in all probability - it means do a couple water changes - this response was only to say 'its not the dangerous chlorine'

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not assume that chloride value is accurate. A quick glance seems to show excess negative ions (chloride, sulfate, bromide, etc ) relative to positive ions (sodium, potassium, calcium, magnesium, etc) which cannot happen.

Montagne

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C68B7FE0-3C7E-45E5-9BEA-9FE0D87E0DAF.jpeg

@DrMMI did you use icp-analysis.com and open a ticket? I’m trying to make sense of some suspiciously similar results and noticed that our testing dates are the same - 9/18/2022. I wonder if they miscalibrated that day or something. Unfortunate!!

Thanks to Randy for quickly confirming that something fishy is going on.

OP
OP
D

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C68B7FE0-3C7E-45E5-9BEA-9FE0D87E0DAF.jpeg

@DrMMI did you use icp-analysis.com and open a ticket? I’m trying to make sense of some suspiciously similar results and noticed that our testing dates are the same - 9/18/2022. I wonder if they miscalibrated that day or something. Unfortunate!!

Thanks to Randy for quickly confirming that something fishy is going on.
That's really interesting to see. I didn't even bother contacting them as I decided to just stop using them. I have one more kit left but I'd rather throw it away then make changes to my tank based on their results. Telegram once said on his podcast that icp-analysis refused to share their calibration data with him and now I'm beginning to realize why. Between this and losing multiple samples that were sent via USPS despite the tracking saying they were delivered, I think I'll move on to a more reputable company.

Montagne

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh sorry you’ve had such a lousy run of events. Fortunately I just bought the one test so will give them a go at reconciling it and post here if I have any luck.

FYI that the “download” format of my results shows the test time as being 10pm GMT - was yours nearby that time?

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's really interesting to see. I didn't even bother contacting them as I decided to just stop using them. I have one more kit left but I'd rather throw it away then make changes to my tank based on their results. Telegram once said on his podcast that icp-analysis refused to share their calibration data with him and now I'm beginning to realize why. Between this and losing multiple samples that were sent via USPS despite the tracking saying they were delivered, I think I'll move on to a more reputable company.
That sounds like you have made up your mind. Best of luck with whatever company you decide to go with in the future.

OP
OP
D

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh sorry you’ve had such a lousy run of events. Fortunately I just bought the one test so will give them a go at reconciling it and post here if I have any luck.

FYI that the “download” format of my results shows the test time as being 10pm GMT - was yours nearby that time?
My test was done at 13:04 on 9/18 and I'm sure the machine wasn't recalibrated in between.
That sounds like you have made up your mind. Best of luck with whatever company you decide to go with in the future.
Yeah I've just had too many issues between weird test results and losing samples that say they were delivered. I'd rather go with someone else where I can just see send a sample and then not have to question the validity of the results or follow up to make sure they actually got it.

Montagne

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My test was done at 13:04 on 9/18 and I'm sure the machine wasn't recalibrated in between.

Yeah I've just had too many issues between weird test results and losing samples that say they were delivered. I'd rather go with someone else where I can just see send a sample and then not have to question the validity of the results or follow up to make sure they actually got it.
Just out of curiosity, @DrMMI, what salt mix do you use?

My RO results came in with 0 Cl and 442 ppb of Na so an imbalance in the Cl:Na ratio within the salt is an intermediary point maybe worth considering. Unfortunately there's no lot or composition markings on my box to reference but thought it would be worth seeing if we're using the same brand, retailer, sale time, etc.

OP
OP
D

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of curiosity, @DrMMI, what salt mix do you use?

My RO results came in with 0 Cl and 442 ppb of Na so an imbalance in the Cl:Na ratio within the salt is an intermediary point maybe worth considering. Unfortunately there's no lot or composition markings on my box to reference but thought it would be worth seeing if we're using the same brand, retailer, sale time, etc.
I use reef crystals. I use the exact same salt for my office tank and I just realized that the chlorine levels for that tank came back as just below normal, so technically high as well.

Back