High Fe and Al readings

Jamiem1976

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 13, 2022
Messages
47
Reaction score
15
Location
Norwich
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I'm a year into my tank and I've never really understood the science involved with this hobby.

I just had an ICP test as I want to move on and start adding some decent corals but was wary as I had dinos in the summer so didn't want to move too fast too soon.

Back in Jun my Iron and aluminum levels were zero. Had a Zlements ICP and Fe is up to 6.06 and Al 179.22. I've not added anything whatsoever. Not dosing anything.

Been advised Al could be due to Nano Tech Biorbs breaking down. Been in a year but any breakdown would have needed to occur in the last 6 months.

My po4 is also high at 0.20 and p at 66.12

Reluctant to add anything without being certain im adding the right things. I have some fluval clearmax pouches to use but would like some advice on if that would be a good thing.

Nitrate running high, used redsea test kit and it's between 20-50 looking at the colours (difficult to be certain).

Tank - fluval Evo
Fish - 1 Juvenile clown, 1 frostbite, 1 Cardinal
CUC - 5 astrea, 1 turbo, 1 boxee shrimp, 1 hermit
Coral - 3 zoa frags, 2 GSP, 1 Kenya, 1 pulsing Xenia, 1 Duncan

Any idea/thoughts?

TIA
 
The iron is no concern.

The aluminum if accurate, may be. It depends on the chemical form.

Which ICP company?

Are you using any white media like phosguard? Those can be aluminum sources. The orbs may be as well.
 
Thank you

So I don't have currently anything other than

1st compartment - filter floss on top of biorbs
2nd compartment - Activated Carbon on top of filter floss (in a media basket)
 
Thank you

So I don't have currently anything other than

1st compartment - filter floss on top of biorbs
2nd compartment - Activated Carbon on top of filter floss (in a media basket)
Sorry I am using a UK based test from a company called Zlements
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 21.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 29 29.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 8 8.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 12 12.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new