0   0   0
Ya I'm lost. There is no way by the look of my corals and fish I'm 64+

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is very strange. I don't believe you have that level of nitrates, either. You could purchase a Salifert test for $15 to compare. Do the water start to turn a color as soon as the third reagent is added?

BTW, I love your red and green Trachyphyllia! Wish mine looked that good :/

AntarcticIkeelu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is going to sound like some strange advice but what I would do in your case is pick up some of the nitrate test strips. They won't be quite as accurate but the are very easy to read and pretty much impossible to mess up. You can use them to find out if your which one of your test kits are off.

OP
OP
Keith Hill

Keith Hill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is very strange. I don't believe you have that level of nitrates, either. You could purchase a Salifert test for $15 to compare. Do the water start to turn a color as soon as the third reagent is added?

BTW, I love your red and green Trachyphyllia! Wish mine looked that good :/

Thanks I will have to maybe order a new test kit. The trachyphyllia is fed every other day with brine or mysis shrimp.

OP
OP
Keith Hill

Keith Hill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the deal with the rock you have wrapped in mesh?
It's a pod condo for my mandarin and leopard wrasse. I have one in the front and one in the back. Also have ones in the over flow and sump that I swap out on water change days. Works great. They got skinny so I looked into this. Nice and fat now

OP
OP
Keith Hill

Keith Hill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is going to sound like some strange advice but what I would do in your case is pick up some of the nitrate test strips. They won't be quite as accurate but the are very easy to read and pretty much impossible to mess up. You can use them to find out if your which one of your test kits are off.
Great idea. I am off to the fish store today anyways

Pmj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JME, but 60 nitrates isn't going to kill anything, you'd just not get great colors. Euphilia & zoas would be perfectly happy. But I would get another test to confirm.

OP
OP
Keith Hill

Keith Hill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JME, but 60 nitrates isn't going to kill anything, you'd just not get great colors. Euphilia & zoas would be perfectly happy. But I would get another test to confirm.
I agree Zoas would be fine but i would think my sps species would be dead. I tested last night with a seachem and I got 5.5-6 when the other was 64+. Tests done within a half he of each other

dgrigor02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By looking at that instruction sheet. Red Sea Pro test is not for me. Waiting 9 min ? You know how sidetracked I can get in 9min ? I can't speak for accuracy but Salifert is way less complicated.

K100286

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some very successful hobbyists have high NO3. Rich Ross posted his readings last week and his NO3 was 41. NO4 was 1.17 or 1.27. There is a long thread on this forum regarding high nutrients which pretty much debunkes the notion that sps only do well in low nutrient tanks.

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your nitrate is not that high, LPS and zoas will love you for sure. I used to register 80ppm nitrate for more than one year and corals are dancing. Some SPS especially dark colored one can tolerate under rich nutrient level provided that your alk are above 9 and other parameters are good.

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My alk was at 10 with elevated nitrate and I do grow sps to a palm sized colonies. Kenya tree overgrown my tank (18" high) before I sell it off. Most sps dies in a tank with high no3 due to low alk and intense light in my experience.

K100286

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that if NO3 is high you have to have the right balance for NO4. A lot of the best aquariums I have seen there is a large fish population that is heavily feed. This results in high NO3 and NO4, but is balanced and mature. Light intensity and alkinity also has to be accounted for esp. in sps tank. This is not an easy hobby i.e. there are many ways to succeed or fail.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back