High nitrates or not

Keith Hill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I have been chasing high nitrates for a bit now. I have been doing lots of water changes, syphoning the sand , I added a bag of de nitrate, etc. My Red Sea test kit right now says 64+ for nitrates. I bought a cheaper test kit by seachem and it says 5.5. Tests were done 5 min apart with no maint done. I'm very confused. My corals and fish are doing great and I use Red Sea for po4, alk, cal, and mag and do t have a problem. Can someone tell and explain to me what my nitrates are?

OP
OP
Keith Hill

Keith Hill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the dilution on the instructions for the Red Sea and some coral is sps. I'm completely lost

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd have to go re-read the Red Sea instructions for the high range testing. I don't recall offhand that the Red Sea test can discern levels of nitrate that high, but it's been a long time since I read that particular instruction.

Edit: I read it and you are correct. Are you sure you're following the directions exactly?

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seachem denitrate is best used in a canister with flow lower than 200lph, when used passively it don't really work and you also need to get the nitrates down to around 25 first too.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I have been chasing high nitrates for a bit now. I have been doing lots of water changes, syphoning the sand , I added a bag of de nitrate, etc. My Red Sea test kit right now says 64+ for nitrates. I bought a cheaper test kit by seachem and it says 5.5. Tests were done 5 min apart with no maint done. I'm very confused. My corals and fish are doing great and I use Red Sea for po4, alk, cal, and mag and do t have a problem. Can someone tell and explain to me what my nitrates are?

I'd retest with the Red Sea and see if you can get 2 similar readings. The first time I did the high range it showed some odd readings.

Your only using 1ml of tank water to 15ml RO so I would guess its very sensitive and with only a small mistake it could send the results out and make sure the test vials are clean.

If it is 5.5ppm your in a funny zone, just above the low range but only just in the high range.

OP
OP
Keith Hill

Keith Hill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the Red Sea test twice. And got the same. I am following the directions of 1ml of tank water, and 15 of RO. All you do after is add drops, shake for 10 seconds, add a spoon full of powder, shake for 10 seconds and wait 9 min. It slowly over the 9 min turnes deep red. I was so confused because with 64+ nitrates all my corals should be dead, especially my sps. I did not know there was an expiry date but I bout them not long ago.

OP
OP
Keith Hill

Keith Hill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seachem denitrate is best used in a canister with flow lower than 200lph, when used passively it don't really work and you also need to get the nitrates down to around 25 first too.

Thanks for the info but that's not really my problem. My problem is what test is right. I really find it hard to believe I'm at 64+ nitrates with sps and other corals doing well.

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the Red Sea test twice. And got the same. I am following the directions of 1ml of tank water, and 15 of RO. All you do after is add drops, shake for 10 seconds, add a spoon full of powder, shake for 10 seconds and wait 9 min. It slowly over the 9 min turnes deep red. I was so confused because with 64+ nitrates all my corals should be dead, especially my sps. I did not know there was an expiry date but I bout them not long ago.
Are you using the Nitrate Pro test or the Nitrite/Nitrate test?

The reason I ask is that there is more than one powder reagent in the Pro test, and it appears (although I have no first hand knowledge) that the Nitrate/Nitrite test also has two powdered reagents.

OP
OP
Keith Hill

Keith Hill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using the Nitrate Pro test or the Nitrite/Nitrate test?

The reason I ask is that there is more than one powder reagent in the Pro test, and it appears (although I have no first hand knowledge) that the Nitrate/Nitrite test also has two powdered reagents.

I'm using the algae controls one. And you are correct it is the seachem that that only has one powder

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I'm really confused. From the Red Sea instructions, it appears that you are performing the nitrite test, not the nitrate test:
Nitrite Test– directions for use
1. Using the syringe provided, place exactly 16 ml of the water to be tested into the glass vial.
2. Add 1 drops of NO2/NO3 reagent A, close the vial with the cap and shake for 10 seconds.
3. Add a leveled measuring spoon of NO2/NO3 Reagent C, close the vial with the cap and shake
vigorously for 10 seconds.
4. Wait 9 minutes for the color to develop.
5. Remove the cap and move the vial between the designated positions on the Nitrite color
card, look into the vial from above and compare the color in the vial to the colors on the
card. Choose the Nitrite level that gives the closest color match and if necessary estimate an
intermediate value. The color is stable for 2 minutes.

The thing I don't understand is how your nitrites would be that high if the tank has cycled. You probably should also make sure you are using the correct color comparison card.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I'm really confused. From the Red Sea instructions, it appears that you are performing the nitrite test, not the nitrate test:
Nitrite Test– directions for use
1. Using the syringe provided, place exactly 16 ml of the water to be tested into the glass vial.
2. Add 1 drops of NO2/NO3 reagent A, close the vial with the cap and shake for 10 seconds.
3. Add a leveled measuring spoon of NO2/NO3 Reagent C, close the vial with the cap and shake
vigorously for 10 seconds.
4. Wait 9 minutes for the color to develop.
5. Remove the cap and move the vial between the designated positions on the Nitrite color
card, look into the vial from above and compare the color in the vial to the colors on the
card. Choose the Nitrite level that gives the closest color match and if necessary estimate an
intermediate value. The color is stable for 2 minutes.

The thing I don't understand is how your nitrites would be that high if the tank has cycled. You probably should also make sure you are using the correct color comparison card.

Yes that's definitely the Nitrite test. The Nitrate test has an additional powder B added.

There is also a different dilution ratio between the the Nitrate Pro and then standard Red Sea Nitrate test kit so maybe confirm which one your using ?

OP
OP
Keith Hill

Keith Hill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really wish I knew how to put pics up. It is for nitrate NO3 and the directions have drops and 2 powders. And a dilution method of 1ml tank to 15ml RO. I don't have a nitrite test. It's the algae controls kit that has only nitrate and phosphate in it. I have the card infront of me right now.
Thanks for the help guys and I'm sorry for confusing u guys too

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The regular Red Sea nitrate test doesn't use diluted tank water and has 3 reagents.

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really wish I knew how to put pics up. It is for nitrate NO3 and the directions have drops and 2 powders. And a dilution method of 1ml tank to 15ml RO. I don't have a nitrite test. It's the algae controls kit that has only nitrate and phosphate in it. I have the card infront of me right now.
Thanks for the help guys and I'm sorry for confusing u guys too
That's definitely the Nitrate Pro test.

You have to use the "Upload a File" button to post a pic from your computer or phone. If the pic is online, the picture icon to the right of the smiley face on the toolbar is where you enter the URL.

OP
OP
Keith Hill

Keith Hill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's definitely the Nitrate Pro test.

You have to use the "Upload a File" button to post a pic from your computer or phone. If the pic is online, the picture icon to the right of the smiley face on the toolbar is where you enter the URL.
Yes I just looked it up it's the pro test kit

OP
OP
Keith Hill

Keith Hill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope this works

IMG_1408.JPG

IMG_1409.JPG

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back