High nitrates post cycle

scottworland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newly setup red sea reefer 170 post cycle and my nitrates are at 100ppm (Salifert kit), decided to do a 70ltr water change over the weekned to help bring it down but it's still at 100ppm this morning. Ammonia is 0ppm and so is Nitrite. Tank has special grade Arg alive sand, recycled reef rock that was bleach cured (glued together with AF stone fix) and was fishless cycled using Fritz turbostart 900 and Dr Timms ammonia. This is my second reef tank so I am stumped with this as I was expecting the nitrates to go down. Any ideas??

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Assure you’re not getting false readings
What test kits are you using?
Chemipure blue or elite will bring it down and keep it in check and also polish your tank water

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Verify your test kit results with another brand of test kit?

I'm beginning to think @vetteguy53081 is a payed shill for Boyd. Even Boyd doesn't make the claims this guy does with their products, and nearly every post about high nutrients is met with using some form of chemipure.

Chemi pure elite is carbon with GFO in it(removes phosphates). No nitrate consuming product there.

And Blue is just high quality carbon with "proprietary resins" that MAY help with removing nitrogenous compounds(Boyds words on their own website, not mine).

Even randy holmes farley has very serious doubts about these "resins" and their ability to remove nitrates. I know I for one, when I did run blue, it did nothing to remove nitrates.

Sorry vetteguy I know your history, and how long you've been around the hobby, I just cannot see misinformation and not call it out.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newly setup red sea reefer 170 post cycle and my nitrates are at 100ppm (Salifert kit), decided to do a 70ltr water change over the weekned to help bring it down but it's still at 100ppm this morning. Ammonia is 0ppm and so is Nitrite. Tank has special grade Arg alive sand, recycled reef rock that was bleach cured (glued together with AF stone fix) and was fishless cycled using Fritz turbostart 900 and Dr Timms ammonia. This is my second reef tank so I am stumped with this as I was expecting the nitrates to go down. Any ideas??
interesting, did you use the food method? if so it could still be breaking down, then your bacteria are making more nitrate

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm beginning to think @vetteguy53081 is a payed shill for Boyd. Even Boyd doesn't make the claims this guy does with their products, and nearly every post about high nutrients is met with using some form of chemipure.

Chemi pure elite is carbon with GFO in it(removes phosphates). No nitrate consuming product there.

And Blue is just high quality carbon with "proprietary resins" that MAY help with removing nitrogenous compounds(Boyds words on their own website, not mine).

Even randy holmes farley has very serious doubts about these "resins" and their ability to remove nitrates. I know I for one, when I did run blue, it did nothing to remove nitrates.

Sorry vetteguy I know your history, and how long you've been around the hobby, I just cannot see misinformation and not call it out.
I think he's sponsored by them, but im not sure he's a paid spokesman

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

It has worked for me and dozens of others
I use it regularly and never have fish or coral loss and above normal reading so yes/ my faith is in their products
Too many suggest to add this or add that and crazy results often occur
If product did nothing for aquarist, at minimum toxins if present are removed and water clarity very good
I will continue to recommend it as long as I see it work for myself and others
FYI- blue will remove organics and nitrogen which contributes to nitrates so yes- nitrates also .
because it does not work for one does not mean it does not work. I have no good results with their product chemiclean amongst other products used by others. We all have different water types and regions in which may put any given product to the test
I was a retailer for 12+ years and never had a complaint about ill effects from chemipure

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad you didn't see my post as an attack on you personally. If you did I apologize. Not my intention one bit.

We all just post our experiences, it's how the hobby evolves.

I knew you were a retailer for years. lol Reason for my line about I knew who you were and your past.

As for the OP:
I would still verify the test kit before proceeding. If you still have food rotting, then that would 100% cause the nitrates to continue to rise, even though you did a WC.

Me personally, when I cycle a tank, I remove 99% of the cycling water when doing my first WC. That way I remove as much of the nitrate as possible.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I'm glad you didn't see my post as an attack on you personally. If you did I apologize. Not my intention one bit.

I knew you were a retailer for years. lol Reason for my line about I knew who you were and your past.

As for the OP:
I would still verify the test kit before proceeding. If you still have food rotting, then that would 100% cause the nitrates to continue to rise, even though you did a WC.

Me personally, when I cycle a tank, I remove 99% of the cycling water when doing my first WC. That way I remove as much of the nitrate as possible.
Yes I too sense possible false reading
All good- often we have to think when it comes to water why couldn’t it be simple like freshwater

OP
OP
S

scottworland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using a Salifert test kit.

A friend of mine came over who also uses Salifert and the rest is conclusive. I tested a fresh batch of salt to ensure there was nothing there and the fresh batch is zero Nitrate.

Interestingly I had an API test kit at the back of a cupboard and tried that and the reading was 40ppm . I don't trust API tests so my next thought is getting my LFS to test the water

OP
OP
S

scottworland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

As for the OP:

Thanks, no food rotting as I used bottled ammonia

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back