OP
Garen

Garen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, we all come from the same beginnings! You're working your way towards being better and that's what matters right? Taking proactive steps like you are now is turning a new page. Get back on that track and lets see this bad boy flourish!
Thanks. As ur obviously a lot more in the know than me. Ive cut coral out before but its off again so ill be doin it again once my levels are ok. If i send pic of my tank as it is now could u advise how much coral to take out cos id like to venture into diff corals and zoas. Thanks

Screenshot_20200603-191239.png

tsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think that you could cut a lot from that colony. The one caveat here is that the coral will slime up so running carbon to keep the water toxin free should be kept in mind.

As you know, this coral grows considerably fast and spreads quickly. Cutting it will not physically remove it. So if you want to free up a lot of real estate, you'll have to remove it at its base completely or cut it low on the base and smother it (like with epoxy).

I personally would keep the large colony in the back right, and remove the large middle pieces. You could surely find some buyers or maybe even trade it into your local fish shop for credit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Garen

Garen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think that you could cut a lot from that colony. The one caveat here is that the coral will slime up so running carbon to keep the water toxin free should be kept in mind.

The one caveat here is, as you know, this coral grows considerably fast and spreads quickly. Cutting it will not physically remove it. So if you want to free up a lot of real estate, you'll have to remove it at its base completely or cut it low on the base and smother it (like with epoxy).

I personally would keep the large colony in the back right, and remove the large middle pieces. You could surely find some buyers or maybe even trade it into your local fish shop for credit.
Yea they bought some before and i cut it at base but never thought about stoppin it growin back. But it seems as tho the more i cut the bigger the ones thats left get lol but thanks for ur advice im finding out the reason it took me soooo long to finally get a saltwater tank. Its a LOT to learn lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 48 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.7%
Back