High Phosphate Experience Wanted - At what PPM level does phosphate impact your SPS?

andika

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my take:
1. Dont chase numbers if corals look good then do nothing. Some of the best tanks like Sanjay are far from zeros on both nitrates and phosphate actually they are very high by "our" standards
2. If you start to run high nutrients (non zero) be a bit generous with light. Nutrients and lighting are positively correlated, that is what I read and heard.
i dont dose anymore since it happend, now the algae/cyano disappear, only few little patch ..
what i do now is feeding coral more often with ab+ , reef roids 3 times a week..add 3 little fish (RG,goby,firefish) and feed them.
No3 - 5-8
PO4 -+ 0.1
dKH 9.2,CA 440, MG 1400, i run two reefled 90 50% blue 5% white on 80G LPS tank.
i see better improvment than before.
but i've lose one acan maxima due to tissue necrosis

Lovefish77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont dose anymore since it happend, now the algae/cyano disappear, only few little patch ..
what i do now is feeding coral more often with ab+ , reef roids 3 times a week..add 3 little fish (RG,goby,firefish) and feed them.
No3 - 5-8
PO4 -+ 0.1
dKH 9.2,CA 440, MG 1400, i run two reefled 90 50% blue 5% white on 80G LPS tank.
i see better improvment than before.
but i've lose one acan maxima due to tissue necrosis
Just stay on that course as long as corals are responding well. Based on the numbers for that led it doesnt look you are running high light (which is good for lps but maybe not other corals like sps) safest way is to get a par meter and put some numbers to high, medium and low light.

andika

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just stay on that course as long as corals are responding well. Based on the numbers for that led it doesnt look you are running high light (which is good for lps but maybe not other corals like sps) safest way is to get a par meter and put some numbers to high, medium and low light.
when the first time tank setup, my lfs lend a par meter, i run 100% blue 20% white and measure the par reading. now i run only 50% , i think the par number should be in at 50% from the reading.
alright, i think its good for stay on this routine, with weekly water change for two months old tank.

Leo.L

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I could be wrong but I remember reading something about Nutrient levels correlating to Alkalinty levels for coral health. Very low ULNS tanks have SPS issues when their dkh exceeds 7.5 levels so they try to stay at NSW levels of 6.5-7.0. However some tanks with higher 9-11dkh seem to have SPS thrive with higher nutrient levels of PO4 and NO3.
I keep my
ALK at 10.5 dkh
Cal. 550
Nitrates at between 8-10
Mag. 1500
Temp. at 77-78
Salinity at 1.025-1.026
Po4 is currently at .50ppm

Have cyano outbreak at the moment but everything has been growing pretty good.

Tank is 20 gallon,one year old last month.
Learning every day.

Pls keep any bad comets to your self. Working my way up to a sixty long.

Attachments

• IMG_20230210_173943530.jpg
    IMG_20230210_173943530.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 44

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back